The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: 2002 Rust en Vrede Estate Red Wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

TN: 2002 Rust en Vrede Estate Red Wine

by Bill Spohn » Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:42 pm

Thought it would be time to check up on this wine from a good producer in Stellenbosch.. It is a blend of 58% cab sauv., 33% shiraz and 9% merlot.

The nose was a pleasant mix of red and black fruit, mellow now, and the tannins are quite soft. Obviously a cabernet based wine but the shiraz was obviously present in the blend given the primarily black current but also some undertones of dry apricot - quite pleasant. Medium length, fully resolved, I think, and no point holding longer, though certainly no worries about it lasting a few more years.

I intend to open the other vintage I cellar, the 1994 soon so I can compare them. BTW, Rust en Vrede means peace and freedom in Cape Dutch - first wine to make it into the top 100 at the Wine Speculator and the one Mandela chose for his long awaited inauguration in 1993.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: TN: 2002 Rust en Vrede Estate Red Wine

by Jenise » Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:47 pm

I love that winery. Have had too few in recent years as South African wines just don't pop up when and where I shop, though locally some RnV Sauv Blancs showed up last year.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov