The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Coonawarra masterpiece

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Coonawarra masterpiece

by Jenise » Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:50 pm

I harbor the belief that if more Coonawarra reds had ended up in the U.S. in place of the lactic wines of the Maclaren Vale and alcoholic fruit bombs of the Barossa, American afficionados wouldn't have given up on them. Witness this:

2004 Parker Coonawarra Estate Terra Rossa First Growth Red Bordeaux Blend
For a few years I've avoided this wine, carrying the memory of what we'd call a duff bottle around. Checked CT on Saturday to confirm the details of that only to realize I'd confused two wines--and this one was actually fine, so we opened a bottle last night. Wow. It showed bright blackberry and cassis fruit, aged balsamic vinegar, espresso, old cigar, forest floor, beef consomme, subtle oak, good minerality and a touch of Coonawarra's signature menthol. Full bodied, elegantly powerful, no oxidation in sight. Still youthful enough to demand rare beef or lamb. Will drink beautifully for years to come--no decanting required.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Coonawarra masterpiece

by David M. Bueker » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:05 pm

I remember having a few bottles of perhaps the 1998. Shame these sorts of Australian wines don’t come around anymore.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:21 pm

Indeed. Someone brought a bottle of the 99 to an offline in Tokyo in 2005. I liked enough to pounce on some 2000 when I saw in NY. All gone, but last bottle was going strong at 15. It's too bad most of us think of Mollydooker/Marquis Phillips rather than Parker, Mt Langhi, Wendouree, Yarra Yering winery, etc when Aussie reds are discussed.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:01 pm

You reminded me that I have a bottle of 1985 Mt Langi Ghiran Shiraz and a syrah tasting next week.....oops, Jenise is listening!

Hey Jenise - should I open this no doubt defunct Aussie just for fun before going on to my regular wine?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:54 pm

Bill, why not. You'll never have a better audience.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:07 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Indeed. Someone brought a bottle of the 99 to an offline in Tokyo in 2005. I liked enough to pounce on some 2000 when I saw in NY. All gone, but last bottle was going strong at 15. It's too bad most of us think of Mollydooker/Marquis Phillips rather than Parker, Mt Langhi, Wendouree, Yarra Yering winery, etc when Aussie reds are discussed.

Wow a Tokyo offline. There used to be a Japanese fellow who opened a lot of wine at a place he called something like Rapongi Garden. I don't recall his name but wonder if he wasn't part of that.

But you're right. The Grateful Palate brought on the downfall of Australian wine in America.