The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: He's a real Nowhere man

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: He's a real Nowhere man

by Jenise » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:31 pm

Apparently the man who made this wine was a real darling on the NZ wine scene for a few years, making wines for I don't remember who. For some reason it ended badly, and for a couple years he made wine on his own as Erewhon, which is 'nowhere' spelled backwards. IIRC, it alludes to the fact that the winemaker was born in Taiwan, grew up in New Zealand, and is blind. He belongs to more than one place but spent his life in the dark, feeling unclaimed. The '13 is the best New Zealand pinot I have ever had--I took it to an all NZ blind tasting once, and it was the runaway for 1st place. This '14 would never get such an honor....

2014 Erewhon Pinot Noir New Zealand
Not much aroma, and on the palate strangely savory for a NZ pinot. Kinda tastes like one of those health drinks where various fruits and greens are juiced together, like cherries, melon, spinach and rutabega with a dash of Worcestershire sauce. Awful as that sounds, not a bad wine, just 180 degrees different from the 2013, and more suited to serving with vegetable soup than sipping before dinner.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: He's a real Nowhere man

by David M. Bueker » Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:00 pm

It’s not “nowhere” spelled backwards, unless you spelled it incorrectly in your notes.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:31 pm

So okay yeah he switched two letters around to make a real-looking word; but that's the name, and that's why.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:44 pm

It looks like the name of an Elf from The Lord of the Rings. ;)
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:37 pm

It does, indeed.
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:49 pm

Erewhon is also a sort of famous book (in NZ) published somewhere in the late 19th century by I think an English author who based it on living in New Zealand on a large sheep farm I believe in the South Island. So that word still has meaning in NZ, as it was one of the first novels that talked about NZ, although the author never mentioned the country specifically.