The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Full circle (Weil, Barthod)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: Full circle (Weil, Barthod)

by Rahsaan » Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:20 am

Yesterday was my last night in NC, marking an end to the staggered four month move-out. What better way to dine than with VLM at Rue Cler, as I had done on my first ever trip to the Triangle back in 09.

I opened 2015 Weil Kiedricher Gräfenberg GG, as neither of us drink much Weil so it was an interesting counterpoint to our more usual fare. Showed pretty well with deep firm fruit framed by intense minerals. The broad slightly-clunky Rheingau shoulders are not my favorite, but maybe that smooths out with more age. There was also a glossy polish to the wine that I could not explain chemically, but I'm assuming it has something to do with the High-Powered Winemaking at Weil. All in all, not my favorite interpretation, but that's fine, it was certainly nice and there should be many styles of wine in the world.

VLM opened 2010 Barthod Aux Beaux Bruns. The first few glasses were probably the best, as the fruit was full, deep and almost exuberant, while still wrapped in a coiled poised structured structure. Over time, that fruit played hide and seek. At times, I thought it was clashing with the mustard sauce on my salmon. VLM thought it might be corked. Or maybe something chemically in the glasses. In the end, not sure any of that was the case as it continued to change and evolve over many hours. Delicious at times, but maddening as ever. Of course I don't own any, so am not 'burdened' with debates about when to open the next bottle!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Full circle (Weil, Barthod)

by David M. Bueker » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:43 am

I stopped buying Barthod very soon after I started, as the wines (both my bottles, and bottles from a friend who was and is a big buyer) drove me nuts. They have the changeable attitude of a cat crossed with an avocado.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:37 pm

The backup bottle of Burgundy was a presumably-friendlier bottle of Mugneret Gibourg Chaignots. We gambled on the Barthod. All part of the process, I suppose!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:47 pm

Alas for the days when I could almost buy M-G with reckless abandon. Now a single bottle is a lucky score.
Decisions are made by those who show up