The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Dinner at Pings- Riesling, Champagne, PN, CS, etc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Dinner at Pings- Riesling, Champagne, PN, CS, etc

by Dale Williams » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:27 pm

Craig was either coming or going, I’ve lost track, so a nice group met at Pings for dinner. Fried silverfish, Pekin duck, sauteed sole with lotus root and snow peas, ginger chicken, lamp chop in black pepper sauce, quail, crab fried rice, all good with friendly service.

2002 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne
Long, complex, apples, brioche, and campfire, someone said they prefer Comtes on release, for me this is just entering its prime. A-

2013 Vilmart Emotion Rose Champagne
Lovely, young and vivacious; with creamy texture, bright white (pear) and red (strawberry) fruits, with a fun little edge of cherry coughdrop.B+/A-

MV Krug (375 ml)
Two half bottles, I passed on first, the “better” bottle was pretty advanced, nuts and sherry aromas. C for me

2005 Reinhold Haart Piesporter Grafenberg Riesling Spatlese
Fully mature, tropical and peach fruit accented with caramel and mulligan spices, a hint of petrol. B+

2012 Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Riesling Kabinett AP #3
Takes a moment to unwind, my ROTN, balanced with such focus and light. Textbook Willi, precise and long. A-

2019 Von Schubert/ Maximin Grünhauser Herrenberg Riesling Kabinett
Young, a little raw, but lovely, tangy acids with citrus, apple, and honeycomb and long minerally finish. B/B+ for now, but I’d love to own some

2020 Steinmetz Neumagener Rosengartchen Riesling Auslese
Really fun to taste, muscular, I had a little trouble wrapping my head around, I should have retried (others loved). B?

Jay blinded us with a red. Someone guessed Burgundy, a couple of us dissented, but Jayson said but definitely Pinot Noir, and I got Rhys and 2008 (but guessed Alpine for vineyard). 2008 Rhys “Home Vineyard” Pinot Noir. Rich dark cherry fruit, baking spices, a little leather to hint it isn’t young, brambly. B+

2013 Furst Schlossberg GG Spatburgunder
Apparently this is a bit of a cult wine in some circles(I’ve liked the “pur Mineral” whites), I really liked the rich earthy nose , but the palate seemed a bit flat and heavy with a strong espresso note. B

1987 Kalin Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve
Double-decanted in afternoon. Black plum and cassis, medium framed, rich fruit framed with green herbs and tobacco. A-/B+

2013 Horiot “En Valingrain” Rose des Ricey
Still rose from southern edge of Champagne. Dark for rose, very floral, pomegranate molasses meets baked cherries, fun, distinctive, and delightful. A-/B+

2017 Lafouge Meix-Chavaux Meursault
Some didn’t like, but I did! Full, balanced, rich pear and hazelnut and a touch of creamy oak. Textbook Meursault to me,. B+

Fun night with good group, we got lucky with a lot of good wines

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Dinner at Pings- Riesling, Champagne, PN, CS, etc

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:08 pm

2005 Reinhold Haart Piesporter Grafenberg Riesling Spatlese
Fully mature, tropical and peach fruit accented with caramel and mulligan spices, a hint of petrol. B+

2012 Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Riesling Kabinett AP #3
Takes a moment to unwind, my ROTN, balanced with such focus and light. Textbook Willi, precise and long. A-

2019 Von Schubert/ Maximin Grünhauser Herrenberg Riesling Kabinett
Young, a little raw, but lovely, tangy acids with citrus, apple, and honeycomb and long minerally finish. B/B+ for now, but I’d love to own some

2020 Steinmetz Neumagener Rosengartchen Riesling Auslese
Really fun to taste, muscular, I had a little trouble wrapping my head around, I should have retried (others loved). B?

Could not ask for a better selection.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Dinner at Pings- Riesling, Champagne, PN, CS, etc

by David M. Bueker » Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:10 pm

The Vilmart Emotion is a delicious wine. Still trying to decide if it's worth the upcharge over the NV Cuvée Rubis.
Decisions are made by those who show up