The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Pauillac, St Jo, Morgon, Auxey, Champagne, Rias Baixas

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

TN: Pauillac, St Jo, Morgon, Auxey, Champagne, Rias Baixas

by Dale Williams » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:59 pm

NV Eric Rodez Cuvee des Crayeres Champagne Brut was big and mildly oxidative, nice mousse, good finish, but plenty of bubbles I like more for less than this $50 tag. B-/B

Thursday HMart marinated bulgogi, miso rice, and Chinese mustard greens
2021 Barou “Un Autre Monde” St. Joseph
Primary black fruits, spice, subdued. Pretty grapey for drinking now, B-, but think some cellar time will bring this around

Friday was unusual ingredient night- pork chops with a blueberry/sumac rub, broccoli with colatura di alici, potatoes with truffle oil
2013 Lapierre Morgon (S) seems soft and fully mature, black cherries and orange blossoms, soft finish. B

Saturday oysters (Fat Baby vs Mystic), grey sole, swiss Chard,and couscous salad,
2019 Lafouge “Les Hautes” Auxey-Duresses blanc
Lovely pear and green apple fruit, with accents of lime zest and chalk. Solid acid backbone, I should pay more attention toi the Lafouge whites. B+/A-

Sunday we met another couple at Ibiza in Chappaqua for Betsy’s birthday,. Chorizo croquetas, manila clams with white beans, fried eggplant, octopus with grilled bomba rice withpaprika, crispy broccolini with Romesco sauce, potatoes with salsa brava and alioli , duck breast with grilled polenta, short ribs with whipped potatoes, chocolate mousse. Great meal.

2021 Karina Victoria Albarino
Mild, grassy, innocuous, Ron liked. B-/C+

1983 Pichon Lalande
Great showing. This has always been a wine about elegance, but there’s no lack of power. Cassis, cigarbox, a little menthol. Quite long. No hurry here, A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: TN: Pauillac, St Jo, Morgon, Auxey, Champagne, Rias Baix

by Jenise » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:25 pm

We drank up our '13 Lapierres, didn't trust them to hold on. Perhaps I shouldn't have rushed them.

Must give some thought to "miso rice". I love miso but never thought of seasoning rice with it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:42 pm

Big fans of Rodez in the Bueker household.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:48 pm

The Lapierre was fine, but don't think you missed anything

The miso rice was a NYT recipe. Whisk 1/4 cup of shiro miso (I actually used a mix of shiro & red, because I was trying to finish 2 containers) with 2¼ cups water. Stir 1.5 cups basmati . Boil, cover, reduce heat , cook til water gone (recipe said 15, I took 20 minutes). Stand 5 min, fluff , will be a little sticky. Good base for a bowl topped with salmon, cabbage, and ginger/soy.scallion

David, I saw your Rodez comments before I bought. And I didn't dislike wine, just didn't find value. But in general I find that Champagne is place I most have to just try for myself. Bdx, Burg, German Riesling, Piedmont, etc there are usually people where I find my tastes almost always align. But Champagne.....It might just be me, but I note another board where someone was trying to coorelate love of Selosse with love of Krug. But respondents seemed to be split about evenly- loveKrugloveSelosse, loveKrughateSelosse, hateKrugloveSelosse,hateKrughateSelosse. I think we all look for different things. :(
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:20 pm

Dale Williams wrote:The Lapierre was fine, but don't think you missed anything

The miso rice was a NYT recipe. Whisk 1/4 cup of shiro miso (I actually used a mix of shiro & red, because I was trying to finish 2 containers) with 2¼ cups water. Stir 1.5 cups basmati . Boil, cover, reduce heat , cook til water gone (recipe said 15, I took 20 minutes). Stand 5 min, fluff , will be a little sticky. Good base for a bowl topped with salmon, cabbage, and ginger/soy.scallion

David, I saw your Rodez comments before I bought. And I didn't dislike wine, just didn't find value. But in general I find that Champagne is place I most have to just try for myself. Bdx, Burg, German Riesling, Piedmont, etc there are usually people where I find my tastes almost always align. But Champagne.....It might just be me, but I note another board where someone was trying to coorelate love of Selosse with love of Krug. But respondents seemed to be split about evenly- loveKrugloveSelosse, loveKrughateSelosse, hateKrugloveSelosse,hateKrughateSelosse. I think we all look for different things. :(

Thanks for the deets on the rice! Will test a version for myself this week. Sounds wonderful--I really like miso but don't think up enough ways to use it other than as a fish glaze or tofu soup base.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:55 pm

Jenise wrote:Sounds wonderful--I really like miso but don't think up enough ways to use it other than as a fish glaze or tofu soup base.

We may have already gone over this on FLDG, but I use miso in so many things. It's pretty much fair game for anything that requires salt! Obviously it's not the right match as a forward flavor element for some dishes. But, it can play a background supporting role in a wide range.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:34 pm

That Selosse thread on Berserkers was more berserk than most. Love of Selosse seemed to mostly correlate with disposable income level.
Decisions are made by those who show up