The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Wash-out

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Wash-out

by Jenise » Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:30 pm

Friends invited us over for a roast beef dinner last Saturday night. They're big fans of Reynvaan so I took one each cabernet and syrah, and meanwhile they opened a Two Vintners to make it an all-Washington event.

To prep my wines--it's been a long while since I had the cab and I hadn't opened this particular vintage of syrah before--I popped the corks around 1:00. It was my intention to check them every hour and return them to the bottles when I was satisfied, as one does. I had slept VERY poorly the night before and was absolutely dopey, so after tasting each to make sure there was no TCA going on--zero critical thinking otherwise went into this--I laid down for a quick nap.

Four and a half hours later my husband woke me up. So much for quick, it was time to go!

2015 Two Vintners Syrah Some Days are Stones Walla Walla Valley
M's bottle, decanted for one hour before serving. Big, boisterous black fruit with rollicking Rocks funk, barbecue smoke and leather dog chews. Over 15% alcohol makes it a little rowdy but at this stage more fun than serious. Fruit faded toward the end of the second hour leaving pyrazines and potter's clay--time to drink up.

2014 Reynvaan Family Vineyards Syrah Stonessence Walla Walla Valley
My first '14 from a set purchased direct from the winery. So no experience but judging by other bottles from other vintages, this wine was over-decanted. The wine was elegant but very subtle, not shy so much as washed out of that specific Reynvaan personality, and there was a hint of oxidation in the finish. Will open another for comparison very soon. No sediment.

2012 Reynvaan Family Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon The Classic Walla Walla Valley
This didn't suffer from the over-exposure like the '14 Stonessence seemed to. Complex and savory with that interesting Rocks funk overlay on the blackberry fruit. Considerable sediment, required filtering.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Wash-out

by David M. Bueker » Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:26 pm

I need to open one of my bottles of Reynvaan just to understand this "Rocks funk."
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:45 pm

So I finally opened a 2018 Reynvaan In the Rocks Syrah. Cork slipped into the bottle almost as soon as I touched it with the corkscrew. Bretty mess.

There goes $90.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:33 pm

Doesn't sound like any Reynvaan I've ever opened, and I've opened about 100. Write to Gale Reynvaan at gale@reynvaanfamilyvineyards.com. I'm sure they'll replace the bottle for you.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:45 pm

Not happening. They hate me already.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:33 pm

So hard to understand. I've found them great to work with. But then you love Bevan, where I have found them enormously rude and impossible to get along with.