The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Avennia, Cayuse, Spring Valley, Mas Gourgonnier etc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Avennia, Cayuse, Spring Valley, Mas Gourgonnier etc

by Jenise » Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:56 pm

2013 Avennia Sestina Columbia Valley Red Bordeaux Blend
PnP'd. Unabashedly new world with youthful red fruits hiding underneath assertive oak and lactic qualities. Popular Washington brand that works for many, but not a style I'd seek out again.

2018 Céline & Laurent Tripoz Crémant de Bourgogne Nature Chardonnay
Recent purchase recommended by local retailer. Seemed a tad ripe and maybe tired as it lacked brightness and tension. Couldn't finish the bottle, would not buy again.

2016 Mas de Gourgonnier Les Baux-de-Provence Red Rhone Blend
Plum and cherry. Some spice on the finish with little tannins. Ready now for a PnP and a joy to drink. For $20, doesn't get much better than this.

2018 Envinate Taganan Tinto Canary Islands Red Blend
Bretty, scant fruit, screechy-tart. Monitored it over several hours but ended up dumping it.

2017 Januik Cabernet Sauvignon Ciel du Cheval Vineyard Red Mountain
Plush texture as befits this winery's house style, but not overdone. Acidity/tannins all in the right places with oak providing more spice than vanilla (not always my experience with Januik cabs). Exceeded expectations!

2014 Spring Valley Vineyard Frederick Walla Walla Valley Red Bordeaux Blend
From a friend's passively stored magnum. Might not have been handled carefully on the trip over--seemed a little confused and this wine usually shows better. Inky purple color. On the nose and palate, dark chocolate and earth, fleshy/less structure than expected. A decent drink but just that.

2014 Cayuse Cabernet Sauvignon The Widowmaker En Chamberlin Vineyard Walla Walla Valley
Decanted at 4:00 p.m. expecting to serve about 6:00-6:30. Didn't serve until 7:30 at which it was overwelmingly sweet and pyrazine-d, too much so for our prime rib. Watched it over the next several hours. At close to 10:00 p.m., it finally found some balance--less sweet, better fruit, more structure. Still, too young. Decant five hours if you have to open it or leave it alone for a few more years, it's not ready yet.

2017 GKG Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
Pretty dark cherry flavors, pleasant, not terribly complex but has a gorgeous cashmere-like texture. Most beautifully shaped bottle on the table, too, have never seen one one like this--tall and skinny with very sloped shoulders.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov