The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Liquid Cristal

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Liquid Cristal

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:34 pm

2004 Louis Roederer Champagne Cristal Brut - France, Champagne (1/22/2023)
Don’t get me wrong, this was very tasty, and a lovely accompaniment to our gougeres. That said it seemed rather generically rich, and lacked any edges to grab a hold of. Definitely bright and still very fresh, just lacking complexity. I have tried many vintages of Cristal, back through the 1980s, and it just doesn’t resonate for me. If it was $50 I would likely buy it by the truckload for basic pleasure, but once again I don’t see the presige factor with this wine.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Liquid Cristal

by Jenise » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:06 pm

Once upon a time I had a six-pack of the '90. It's the only significant experience I've had with that wine, and I've not had it many times outside of that vintage. My only complaint, and it's a significant one, is that only four of the six were good bottles. Too much waste for the price.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:57 pm

Jenise wrote:Once upon a time I had a six-pack of the '90. It's the only significant experience I've had with that wine, and I've not had it many times outside of that vintage. My only complaint, and it's a significant one, is that only four of the six were good bottles. Too much waste for the price.

And it was a lot cheaper back then!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:30 pm

I purchased them around 2005. Not cheap but sure, better than today!!!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov