The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Thoughts on Haut Brion

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Thoughts on Haut Brion

by Bill Spohn » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:52 am

I have tasted more than my share of Haut Brion and La Mission, and have come to share the opinion of a now absent friend that due to the common ownership (both under the Dillons since 1983), the latter wine, which in many vintages surpassed Haut Brion, was intentionally delegated to second place.

"Robert Parker has awarded it more 100 point scores than any other wine in the Medoc, equalling Petrus in achieving 12 perfect 100 point scores."

Saw this article and thought I should post it: https://blog.vinfolio.com/2021/05/28/20 ... aut-brion/

And for background https://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2013/06 ... haut-brion
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Thoughts on Haut Brion

by Jenise » Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:52 pm

Gosh, remember the days when I was bringing '79 Haut Brions to the Gav lunches?

Anyway, I don't have enough experience to weigh in on this, but doesn't that make sense? Even a 1st Growth of indisputable quality needs points protection.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: Thoughts on Haut Brion

by Dale Williams » Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:26 pm

I dunno, my friend John wrote a great report on LMHB a few years ago. He discussed how at the time of the sale in early 80s people worried that LMHB would suffer. But in fact the Dillons put a ton of money and time into pushing their view that LMHB was equal to a first.

Two of my favorite estates, but now I have little- and more La Mish than HB, as HB passed out of my $ range earlier .

That Jane Anson article is strange. I love how she it talks about " The estate’s white wine, Château La Mission Haut-Brion Blanc, was first bottled in the 1927 vintage by then-owner Frédéric Woltner, Just 400–600 cases of this wine are made each year" Yet doesn't mention that until very recently it was Laville Haut Brion.