The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Precedent, Reustle and Gallica

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Precedent, Reustle and Gallica

by Jenise » Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:56 pm

On Friday we opened this wine to honor David Bueker's father:

2017 Precedent Zinfandel Evangelho Vineyard Contra Costa County
The last reviewer, in 2020, captured our experience well: "fairly delicious, with the Evangelho fruit coming through pure and strong. Black raspberry in spades, mouthwatering acid, and the elegant dusky/dusty mineral note that is an Evangelho calling card. Some richness/polish imparted by the oak but no overt oak flavors. 14.8% alc which is well managed." However he/she noted RS, which we did not. It must have been a moment, but history now: this wine is totally dry.

Then last night, we and friends who had other plans fall out dined together at The Vault, a really excellent local wine bar. This two-block-long, one-horse town at the Canadian border, called Blaine, has nothing at all going for it except for this amazing wine bar that opened in a former Bank of America by a physical therapist with zero restaurant experience whose practice was located across the street. In fact, that's still his day job, and where the overflow of wines that don't fit in the Bank go. He's as passionate about music as he is fascinated by wine and often sits in with local musicians (especially jazz) who pass through town.

It took some time to slog through a 29 page wine list, but we managed and decided, which is what one should do with a list that adventurous, on wines less usual to us: a Slovenian Furmint and a Tempranillo from southwest Oregon.

The Furmint was fizzy and bitter, so we sent it back and instead got:

2021 Gallica Albariño Rorick Heritage Vineyard Calaveras County, Sierra Foothills
Simply put: this is the best North American Albarino I've ever had. Bright medium yellow, with ripe enough but dry golden delicious apple fruit and dusky minerality. Not heavy (none have been), not light (most are, too much so)--just right. Very classy. I'm going to order some.

We followed that with:

2017 Reustle Tempranillo Winemakers Reserve Prayer Rock Vineyards Umpqua Valley
From Oregon's warmer southwest region, it has classic tempranillo red fruit and spice, plus elegant texture enhanced by moderate bottle age. Very impressed. Odd little winery, though. In addition to Tempranillo they make syrah, malbec, merlot, riesling (dry and off dry), and gruner.

And then Alan, the owner, was hanging out and kept coming by to pour a few wines he's been given to review and wanted opinions on.

2016 Paul O'Brien Tempranillo Umpqua Valley
Raw dark fruits with overt toasted oak. Very rustic and not at all in the same class as the Reustle. Pass.

2021 Jermann Vinnae Venezia Giulia IGT Ribolla Gialla
90% Ribolla Gialla, 5% Riesling Renano, 5% Friulano (Tocai), stainless steel fermentation and partial six month rest in Slovenian oak. Clear like water in the glass. Exuberantly aromatic with notes of ginger and clove. Feels sweetish on the palate but steers dry, with great acidity. Vibrant and unlike anything we normally drink, though I'm familiar with this excellent producer. 12.5%.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Precedent, Reustle and Gallica

by David M. Bueker » Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:07 pm

I ordered from Gallica a couple of times. Really nice wines, but they didn’t fill a need for me.

And yes, the Albariño is excellent.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:51 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I ordered from Gallica a couple of times. Really nice wines, but they didn’t fill a need for me.

And yes, the Albariño is excellent.

Not a winery I was previously familiar with. I just liked the idea of THAT grape from THAT place and ordered it. It's the first version I've had that makes a case for growing this grape in America.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:00 pm

Never heard of Gallica before but sounds very good (I actually saw title and thought "Jenise misspelled Galicia") :(