The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Black Cat Crosses My Path

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Black Cat Crosses My Path

by David M. Bueker » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:56 pm

2015 EMH Cabernet Sauvignon Black Cat Special Selection - USA, California, Napa Valley (2/4/2023)
Casual, last-minute dinner with friends, so this did not get any advance treatment, but it still showed why it's special. I picked this out because EMH was one of my dad's favorite Cabernets in the last few years of his life. Since he had passed just a couple of days earlier it seemed an appropriate wine to share.

I have always found EMH to be relatively classic in style, but this was full on classic - red fruit, firm tannins, but stuffing to balance - yet not overwhelming. Rather than just a casual dinner I would love to have been sitting with a medium rare ribeye, and my dad sitting across the table. He would have loved this, as it would have reminded him of things he drank in the early 1970s, before things got supercharged. Special didn't have to mean over-the-top. It could mean more refined. I sat with the last glass for an hour or so, taking small sips every few minutes. I got better every sip. I'll hold my remaining bottles for a while, and then maybe open one up on my dad's birthday...with a ribeye steak.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Black Cat Crosses My Path

by Jenise » Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:35 pm

Way to go. Enjoy that ribeye when you get around to it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:41 am

When I read the title of your post, my first thought was that you were going to review a Zeller Schwarze Katz. :shock:

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:48 am

Oh heck no! :lol:
Decisions are made by those who show up