The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Napa, Champagne, Chablis, Amarone, Santorini

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Napa, Champagne, Chablis, Amarone, Santorini

by Dale Williams » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:37 pm

Friday was mussels with chorizo, along with orzo and a sheetpan with baked feta, broccolini, and tomatoes. The 2018 Hatzidakis Skitali Assyrtiko (Santorini) was both snappy and powerful, with citrus and saline notes. Quite good, in a Pepiere Clisson meets Zarate Albarino style. B+/A-

Saturday slow cooked chicken in red wine with artichokes and mushrooms. The artichokes gave me pause, so played it safe with the NV Gosset Grand Rose Champagne. Deep, rich, with cherry and apple pie, bright finish. B+/A-

Sunday Betsy was leading a retreat, she came home in time for dinner with friends. I had planned on Flannery ribeyes, but an ice storm in Memphis put paid to that, with a big box of beef disappearing into FedEx limbo. I made do with supermarket steak, but at least my Smoking Goose order made it through. We started with SG gin/beet lox and rabbit/pork cheek terrine.
Wine was the NV Grongnet Blanc de Blancs Champagne.New producer to me. Lovely, and what a great value. Green apple, pear, citrus zest, with a brioche topnote. Bright and fresh, with tangy acids. QPR champ. B++

Some oysters (Fat Baby and Mystic) and the 2016 Louis Michel Montee de Tonnerre Chablis 1er.
There’s a tropical/ripe note to this, but there’s plenty of crispness, and a nice oystershell note to the finish. I love LM wines, and liked this . but wondered if a little (used) oak might have made this a little more complexity and weight. B+

Porterhouse, black garlic/maitake risotto, green beans with tomato, salad

1988 Diamond Creek Gravelly Meadow Cabernet Sauvignon
Red plum, a little herb, leather, ready to go. B

2007 Masi Costasera Amarone (375 ml)
Low acid going on flabby, some pruney notes, a bit hot, others liked more than I did. C+/C

No wine with shrimp scampi, leftover risotto Monday night.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.