The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Mon.com

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Mon.com

by David M. Bueker » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:25 pm

2000 Château Troplong Mondot - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (2/7/2023)
From a six bottle futures order, two bottle to my Dad, and four to me, we never had a chance to share one. More than twenty years after that purchase the first of the six was opened. A couple hours of air wasn’t quite sufficient. It seemed rather blocky and monolithic until about ninety minutes later. Twenty-four hours later it was even more open, making it clear that it didn’t really want to be opened in the first place. Ultimately there was a wealth of dark currant and blackberry fruit, with deep running earthiness, some spice, and still firm tannins. Twenty-three years post vintage I was expecting/hoping it would be more open, but at least there are more bottles to follow over the next decade plus.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Mon.com

by Jenise » Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:08 pm

Surprised it wasn't more open. Sounds like something to leave to your children. Oh wait, you don't have any. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Mon.com

by David M. Bueker » Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:46 pm

Got a lot of that going on in my cellar. Oh well. I (think I) have time.
Decisions are made by those who show up