The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A Wintrich of the Tail

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: A Wintrich of the Tail

by David M. Bueker » Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:35 pm

2020 Weingut Günther Steinmetz Wintricher Ohligsberg Riesling "GW" - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (2/8/2023)
I don't normally look at other CellarTracker notes before writing my own, but I happened to glance at the two on this wine, and I wondered if we were drinking the same wine. There was nothing understated about this wine, on the nose or the palate. When I first opened it, and through the two days I drank it there was a vibrant orange spritz aroma along with some more tropical elements - pineapple and ripe lime. Veering to the sweeter end of the trocken scale, what really impressed me was the palate presence/body of the wine. It felt a lot like the more full bodied Rieslings of the Wachau. Impressive wine that hit the right buttons for me as a long time fan of the Ohligsberg.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: A Wintrich of the Tail

by Rahsaan » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:13 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:2020 Weingut Günther Steinmetz Wintricher Ohligsberg Riesling "GW" - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (2/8/2023)
I don't normally look at other CellarTracker notes before writing my own, but I happened to glance at the two on this wine, and I wondered if we were drinking the same wine. There was nothing understated about this wine, on the nose or the palate...

Yes, so tough to know how to interpret comments like that on Cellartracker, without a sense of the person's palate/experience. Still, with a healthy dose of skepticism around each note, on balance I am happy to have the resource.