The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Terrabianca and Andrew Will

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Terrabianca and Andrew Will

by Jenise » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:42 pm

Friends and neighbors Bob and Daryl returned home Wednesday night after nearly a year away travelling the U.S. They were tired, hungry and thirsty, and they knew who to call!

For starters, we had champagne, the NV Thierry Triolet , which is by far the best $20 champagne I've ever drunk in my life. Deep straw gold, rich, biscuity, old-style champagne. I'd kill for more, but alas this was my last bottle.

Then with our modest picnic dinner of oven fried mustard chicken, artichoke/potato salad and fresh strawberries, which I was able to expand to feed four, we opened an Italian wine, which we know to be their favorite because of several years spent living in Italy, and a Washington Wine with which to say welcome back, this is home. The 2003 Terrabianca "Scassino" Chianti Classico is Chianti on the plusher side of things, probably due to the vintage, with some toffee tones and an unexpected streak of charcoal grilled meat amidst the cherries and berries. Alcohol 13%. $24 recently. Very good.

Our second wine, also weighing in at 13%, is a 2000 Andrew Will Cuvee Lucia. I don't know what's in it, but it's a black wine that, formerly distinctive with blackberry fruit and herbs (like cab franc) when I bought it at a winemaker visit to a wine store, is now just hard and plain. More likely near death than dormant. Very disappointing.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

Re: WTN: Terrabianca and Andrew Will

by Clint Hall » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:33 am

Jenise, if the Andrew Will Cuvee Lucia is AW Cuvee Lucia Red Wine, then "what's in it" may be mostly Merlot and some Cab Franc, which I believe is what has been in it in other vintages. There also is or has been an AW Syrah Cuvee Lucia and an AW Sangiovese Cuvee Lucia. Apparently Cuvee Lucia is winemaker Chris Camarda's second wine, but it's all very confusing as he keeps adding and dropping wines from vintage to vintage. If Chris would just decide what he wants to make and stick with it, use less oak, and not release his wines so early I think he would improve his reputation -- which actually isn't all that bad as he has made some spectacular wines.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Terrabianca and Andrew Will

by Jenise » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:37 pm

Re the second label--yes, that's the impression I had. Also that winemakers all over Washington seem to make something like this, a veritable dump bucket of the leftover juice that didn't go womewhere else--voila, red table wine. Though at $32, this one's almost twice the cost of most of the others and for that expects more than I got out of this bottle. Couldn't taste any merlot in it, but as my note said the cab franc was obvious. I keep trying his stuff because I knew about Andrew Will long before I moved--they were a real big deal for a little while, and particularly the merlot I believe--but I can't say I've been happy with any of the wines. I hated the oak on a magnum of his '98 Klipsun merlot I opened around Christmas time. Wouldn't be tempted to buy again.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov