The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Loire Blind Tasting

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

TN: Loire Blind Tasting

by Bill Spohn » Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:08 pm

We had a really excellent tasting of Loire wines at our blind tasting lunch this month, an area we seem to neglect.

2006 Domaine des Baumard Savennières Clos du Papillon – mid yellow with a slightly reductive lemon based nose, good balance.

1993 Domaine du Closel-Château des Vaults Savennières Clos du Papillon – I put this up as a sacrificial wine – one that I didn’t have great (grape?) expectations for but that might be interesting. It had been sound in 2017 when I lasted opened one. Darker colour, with a slightly oxidative nose of orange rind with hints of almonds, dry, smooth and balanced. A big but pleasant surprise. I leave these for around seven years until they come into focus but had never expected this sort of longevity. My last bottle.

2018 Domaine de la Chaise Touraine-Chenonceaux – this white was a pale colour with obvious sauv blanc nose, good acidity and clean finish.

2010 Domaine François Cotat Sancerre Les Culs de Beaujeu – some colour, a clean citrus nose and a lovely smooth acidic hit in the lengthy finish.

2007 Domaine Huet Vouvray Sec Le Mont – I have a fondness for this reliable producer. Medium straw colour and a nose of wet stone and peaches and a long finish.

2021 Lucien Crochet Sancerre Rosé – from the aged to the youthful, this crisp wine was very light pink, had an interesting cheesy nose and a clean dry finish.

1995 Moulin Touchais Coteaux du Layon – these wines last decades! Golden yellow colour and an interesting nose of honeyed fruit with some added spice, more nutmeg than cinnamon. Excellent length, medium sweetness and a long off dry finish. Very good.

2010 Domaine Bernard Baudry Chinon Les Grézeaux – good colour, a slightly funky nose of berry and spice, excellent minerality and a good finish with clean acidity

2018 Domaine Guiberteau Saumur Bizay Les Chapaudaises – fairly ripe, funky nose of berry and some cassis, clean acidity and medium length smooth finish.

2014 Charles Joguet Chinon Les Petites Roches – quite dark with a nose that featured oak, some mint and faint floral notes, on palate it was tasty with some decent fruit notes (cherry?) and a long smooth finish.

2006 Château du Hureau Saumur-Champigny Lisagathe – dark wine with a slightly lifted warm nose with faint anise notes, medium body and adequate length. Decent.

2009 Domaine des Baumard Quarts de Chaume Grand Cru – my finisher, in 500 ml. size. Light amber colour and a killer nose of rich dried apricot and hints f caramel and pineapple. Nice long savoury finish.

Next month – a St. Julien tasting

loire.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: TN: Loire Blind Tasting

by Jenise » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:16 pm

2006 Domaine des Baumard Savennières Clos du Papillon – This was Bob A's but I also own this wine, three bottles purchased about six months ago from a recent winery library release. Was pleased by how well it showed. Had that woolly chenin thing with a touch of lemon Pledge.

1993 Domaine du Closel-Château des Vaults Savennières Clos du Papillon – Your description covers it well. I would add a touch of canned pears. Loved this, and I remember well when you served this at a dinner party matched with a chestnut soup. Terrific pairing.

2018 Domaine de la Chaise Touraine-Chenonceaux – For some reason I only wrote one word: "classy".

2010 Domaine François Cotat Sancerre Les Culs de Beaujeu – My wine. Was pleased with it, but the leftover last night? Oxidated.

2007 Domaine Huet Vouvray Sec Le Mont – yes, what you said.

2021 Lucien Crochet Sancerre Rosé – Also my wine. Loved it. It reminded me why I think pinot makes the best rose.

1995 Moulin Touchais Coteaux du Layon – What you said. Really remarkable.

2010 Domaine Bernard Baudry Chinon Les Grézeaux – What you said. Excellent showing.

2018 Domaine Guiberteau Saumur Bizay Les Chapaudaises – Shows very young. Big, tannic, needed a rare steak.

2014 Charles Joguet Chinon Les Petites Roches – Classic Joguet with the mint and spices. Youthful, doesn't show any age yet.

2006 Château du Hureau Saumur-Champigny Lisagathe – Very balanced with good body but light enough that some of us thought it was pinot, not cab franc.

2009 Domaine des Baumard Quarts de Chaume Grand Cru – What you said. Great finisher.

Thanks again for hosting. Sorry to leave you with the dishes.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:55 pm

No worries - will have the dishes done by next month!

That tasting was a lot of fun!

Do you think we should go blind or not on the St. Juliens?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:39 pm

I don't know re the St. Juliens. I lean toward 'no', as it might be more important to serve them in order of age and revealing up front would be the only way to get there--unless we just kept the name private which is interesting if more than one bottle of the same wine shows up.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:18 pm

I like that! Not blind, maybe doing old to young, but if anyone sees the same wine from a different vintage pop up they could elect to say that their wine was an X but from another year and people could try and guess the vintage, or alternatively, you could say "I have a wine from that vintage - guess which one...."
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:57 pm

I like it too. Reveal age for putting the wines in order, then go blind as per usual.