The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Chevillon,Haut Brion,LLC,Suduiraut,L'evangile, Comtes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Chevillon,Haut Brion,LLC,Suduiraut,L'evangile, Comtes

by Dale Williams » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:27 pm

Friday was first wine in almost 2 weeks. Just a glass, coravined. The 2013 Chevillon Nuits St George Vieilles Vignes went well with herb roasted chicken, root vegetables (parsnip, Korean radish, carrot, sweet potato) and broccoli salad. Medium bodied, black cherry, coffee, a little mustard seed. Good fresh acids, easy tannin, no hurry but drinking well. B+/B

Saturday Betsy and I met a group of friends at Marta. Pizzas (butchers, margherita, and my favorite the Brussels sprouts), then steak with colatura and roast chicken.

2004 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne
Rich but sprightly, pear and apple, brioche, a hint of rye bread. Elegant mousse, snappy, excellent length. A-

1990 L’Evangile
Smoky black plum, incense, mocha. Great texture and body, With air there is just a hint of 1990 roasted notes, only thing keeping it from greatness. B+/A-

1996 Leoville las Cases
Young, muscular, with deep cassis fruit, tobacco, and some leather beginning to develop. Not really the biggest LLC fan but this will be a great wine., B/B+ for now, A potential.

1990 Leoville las Cases
Blackberry and blackcurrant, cedar/cigarbox and mushroom, just a hint of a pruney note. Good, but I think others liked more than I did. B+/B

1996 Haut Brion
Powerful and rich, lots of structure, yet also friendly. Black cherry, currant, with good dirt, tobacco, and leather notes. A-

2006 Haut Brion
A little cellar mixup, this was supposed to be the 1998, but I’m happy to taste this. Rich and warm (but not hot), big plum plum fruit, oak, gravel and tobacco. This is going to need some time but excellent wine from a vintage I don’t see much, B+ with potential.

1989 Suduiraut
There’s some complex aromas of orange marmalade, apricots, and vanilla, but this isn’t too fresh, and seems a bit lacking in acidity. Very mature, and not very long. This bottle B/B-

Was great to have Betsy with me, even though I was spitting and did the driving.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Chevillon,Haut Brion,LLC,Suduiraut,L'evangile, Comt

by David M. Bueker » Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:03 pm

That's a pretty fantastic lineup.

Not a lot of 2006 gets opened from anywhere in Europe. It seems to be a bit of a lost vintage, despite very good (if not great) quality in many regions.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:43 pm

How awful to have to spit those wines, I feel for you.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:30 pm

I've got a modest amount of 06 Burg, a few scattered Germans, Bdx, etc. It's not that I have a poor opinion, more just I don't think of them.
I actually really like 06 Champagne, though!