The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Cellar Tracker milestone!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Cellar Tracker milestone!

by Jenise » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:24 pm

On March 11th, Cellar Tracker recorded it's 20 millionth tasting note. Coincidentally, almost 20 years earlier to the day (a March 7th), Eric Levine posted the site's first tasting note. On a link he calls Insight on the first page he details which wines and places got the most notes. Those results are predictable for people who have been around the wineblock a few times: California followed by France Burgundy then France Bordeaux, etc., and Chateau Beaucastel followed by Caymus (ugh). But still, fun to look at.

And what was Eric's first note? This one:

1995 Domaine Robert Chevillon Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Chaignots
ERIC WROTE:90 Points
Friday, March 7, 2003 - I brought this to Etta's for dinner with Suzi (mini-crabcakes followed by the spice-rubbed salmon & cornbread pudding). On opening it was dark, brooding and tannic unlike almost any Pinot I have ever tasted. A bit of barnyard seems evident. At first it showed loads of tannin and acid, but the fruit was hiding. With time in the glass (NOTE: Etta's has *really* crappy restaurant glasses. Will Tom Douglas restaurants drive me to BYO glasses?) it starts to open up and expand, lengthening on the palate. Finally by the time the salmon entrees arrived we were dealing with pure MAGIC! The acid gets along SOOOO well with the fat of the salmon, the finish showing power and grace. Deep cherry, powerful and intense on the palate yet very smooth. Gorgeous bottle!

Anyway, congratulations Cellar Tracker--hate to think where I'd be without it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Cellar Tracker milestone!

by David M. Bueker » Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:25 pm

I would still be using Excel.

Wish my dad had used CellarTracker. His MS-Access inventory was four years out of date. It got corrupted, and he never bothered to rebuild the file.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:45 pm

Same here. I have friends who use Vivino--I don't get it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:23 pm

It really is an incredible program. I use it almost every day.

It was interesting to read the very first review. Two things struck me. First, all the non-wine content, which tends to be critiqued/made fun of now, and which suggests Eric saw it as more than providing 'only' a tasting note of a bottle. Second, I don't think point inflation had started yet!

I think it is ten million tasting notes now, not 20 million.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:47 pm

Even though I'm not the most organized CT user (I forget or neglect to enter purchases occasionally, or forget to "consume" bottles) I don't know what I'd do without it.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:41 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Even though I'm not the most organized CT user (I forget or neglect to enter purchases occasionally, or forget to "consume" bottles) I don't know what I'd do without it.

Ditto
Tim York
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:49 pm

John S wrote:It really is an incredible program. I use it almost every day.

It was interesting to read the very first review. Two things struck me. First, all the non-wine content...

I think it is ten million tasting notes now, not 20 million.

You're right, thanks for the correction on 10 not 20. And yeah, the Eric I think I know today would never be outwardly critical of a local restaurant even about crappy wine glasses.