The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: da Michele (Tuscans,Campania,Umbria, Champagne, Leb)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: da Michele (Tuscans,Campania,Umbria, Champagne, Leb)

by Dale Williams » Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:42 pm

Last night a fun group met at L'Antica Pizzeria da Michele, the new NYC branch of the famous (since 1870) Naples pizzeria.

I arrived to be greeted with the 1996 M&C Dom Perignon Champagne
Rich, with pear, brioche, and mushroom notes, very good length. This bottle seems fully mature, yeasty, ready. B+

We started with beet salad and Caesar salad, then very nice arancini and meatballs
1990 Valdicava Madonna del Piano Brunello Riserva
Ripe, black cherry and a little prune, coffee, others liked more than I did. B-

2000 Paolo Bea Montefalco Sagrantino
Fresh dark berry fruit, floral, mushroom/forest floor, some serious tannin, I liked more than table, B+/B.

Then a trio of pastas- cacio e pepe, maccheroni Bolognese, pappardelle Genovese
1996 Ornellaia
Cassis and plum, green pepper, wood still sticking out a bit. B-/B

1990 Ornellaia
Unsure what cepage is, but seems more Merlot driven than ‘96. Rich black plum and black cherry, mocha, a little truffle. Ready and fun. B+/A-

I was bewildered by squash blossoms in March, but they were delicious

1996 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne
This bottle was really in a perfect place, with fresh Bosc pear and sweet apple fruit, fresh baked brioche, and just enough smoke, nut, and toffee notes to show it’s complexity. Beautiful elegant bead, with a finish that is both taut and elegant. A-/A

Tender octopus on a hummus like spread
1985 Montevertine Pergole Torte
Another nice showing (double-decanted before travel). Clean red and black cherry, woodsmoke, orange zest and a little touch of game meats. Good acids, mostly resolved tannins, nice length and grip. I really love Montevertine, though I stopped buying due to the son’s vileness. A-

Pizzas- Margherita, Pesto, and Proscuitto/Arugula

Jon blinded us. I was thinking Italy, so thought older Chianti or Brunello. Quite lifted nose, red berries, a touch of barnyard. Actually an enjoyable midweight on palate, not showing the VA that is on nose. Well at least I was in right region- the Mediterranean! :) 1991 Ch. Musar. B/B+

2006 Mastroberardino Taurasi Radici Riserva
Firm, solid tannins, bright acids, red cherry, cocoa powder, & herbs. Quite enjoyed though young. B+

2008 Mastroberardino Taurasi Radici Riserva Antonio

This was a weird showing, with a bacterial element- Ben thought sewage, while I was more in the is there a dead animal in the wall camp? DNPIM (actually the palate not as bad as the nose, but….) D

Really fun night. Met the owner, place very busy for a Monday. Ben has eaten in the Naples original and said NYC faithfully recreated the crust- less crisp/crackery than the Neapolitan style at Marta for instance. Will go back.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: da Michele (Tuscans,Campania,Umbria, Champagne, Le

by Rahsaan » Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:29 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Last night a fun group met at L'Antica Pizzeria da Michele, the new NYC branch of the famous (since 1870) Naples pizzeria...Really fun night. Met the owner, place very busy for a Monday. Ben has eaten in the Naples original and said NYC faithfully recreated the crust- less crisp/crackery than the Neapolitan style at Marta for instance. Will go back.

Sounds like a fun time. And that place has gotten quite a buzz in its early days, so nice that you were able to go and bring a group of wine geeks toting bottles!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:31 am

well, we were with someone who is an investor, so that helps a lot!
I definitely stepped off my diet with meatballs (and pizza & pasta though I limited portions compared to my desires), but if you wanted to stay vegetarian tons of options.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:22 am

Dale Williams wrote:well, we were with someone who is an investor, so that helps a lot!

Indeed!

Place sounds delicious and goes on my long list of places worth patronizing. Pros and cons of Nyc...

Was supposed to finally try Noreetuh (which I know is in your constant rotation) for cab franc dinner on Sunday, but head cold kept me at home...
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:40 am

Hope you are better.
I think when you make it, you'll like Noreetuh- though I do eat pork musbi and steak there (and fried chicken) I could eat quite happily as a pescetarian.
What was the CF lineup?
Actually, you could eat very well at most the NYC places I frequent, except Bobby Vans or Balvanera.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:26 pm

Dale Williams wrote:What was the CF lineup?

Wasn't coordinated, any cab franc welcome, but probably Loire-dominated given attendees. Waiting to see if Jayson C posts notes, so I can suffer through the jealousy!