The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Pegau, Pontet, Gaia

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Pegau, Pontet, Gaia

by Jenise » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:49 pm

Over two days we drank a 2020 Pegau pink. I'm so in love with this producer that I buy these pinks when I run into them, and yet I never find them particularly good vs. just okay. Like all the others have been, this was just okay.

After that intro glass of Pegau (with scallops, shrimp, cherry toms and garlic over vermicelli), Bob requested a light red wine. So I traipsed off to the cellar and returned with a 28 year old Aussie:

1995 Grosset Gaia Clare Valley Red Bordeaux Blend
Our last of three and the best one of the bunch. Had a better cork, where the others crumbled on removal. Dark garnet color. Mature black and red fruit with cedar on the nose, some graphite on the palate, silky finish. Very very nice.

Last night we finished the Pegau with a bowl of sweet cherry tomatoes standing in for a salad course, and then poured this to go with an Irish stew:

2004 Château Pontet-Canet Pauillac Red Bordeaux Blend
Decanted two hours in advance and filtered the last third for sediment. Dark and opaque, but appropriate for age and origins. Brooding, loamy blackberry and black currant fruit but very dry on the palate (typical '04) and likely at peak. Comes alive with food.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Pegau, Pontet, Gaia

by David M. Bueker » Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:35 pm

Getting close to 20 years for that P-C. Does seem like the right time.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:50 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Getting close to 20 years for that P-C. Does seem like the right time.

It was better a few years ago, but still good. It went thru one phase around 2017 where I thought it tasted Californian. I should have been drinking them all along since then; didn't keep up.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:35 pm

I think it’s finally clear that I enjoy older/tertiary wines more than you do.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:18 pm

I don't think that's correct. I crave tertiary qualities; this just didn't really have those and I'm not sure it ever will. More like stuck in secondary and potentially fading.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:48 pm

Have 95,96 and 01 PC none of which are nearing senescence.

Given your note I will open one and get your opinion of it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:05 pm

I don't have any older than 2000, unfortunately (once upon a time I did have 70 and 75's), but I own 7 more recent vintages since.