The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2001 - A Selbach Odyssey

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: 2001 - A Selbach Odyssey

by David M. Bueker » Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:15 pm

2001 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (3/25/2023)
Yeah, that’s a 2001. It has all the intensity, all the vibrance, the mid-palate density, and then this expanding, mushroom cloud finish that hangs in the air for longer than is logically possible. The best wines of the vintage were that way when they were released, and most are still that way, just with added complexity, and a patina of honey. On this bottle, the color is still light gold. The expected fruit is still all there - peach, apple and lemon. The minerality and acidity grip through the mid-palate, leaving a tingle long after each sip. This is a bottle ordered during the direct import period in June 2002, and carefully cellared since that time. It’s magic in a glass - 2001 magic. There has not been a better vintage since then.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: 2001 - A Selbach Odyssey

by Rahsaan » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:34 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:...2001 magic. There has not been a better vintage since then...

Big words! Not sure I would go with 'better', but there has certainly been nothing that scratches the same itch. And for me, 2001 will always be special because it was the first German vintage I tasted on release, with such little appreciation (at the time) for how special it was...

Lots of folks excited about 2021, although I saw on Berserkers that you haven't opened any of your bottles? I've had a few (including last night's lovely bottle of 2021 Ludes TR Monster Kabinett Feinherb), but they have not been as regal as the 2001s were, and some have seemed downright cranky. Plus, I just don't have the stomach right now to chase and stockpile wines that become culty and quick-disappearing, which seems to be happening with some of these German wines.

But, my loss is the winemakers' gain, which is a good thing!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:44 pm

I have opened a few 2021s, but not a lot. Interesting wines for me, but Laura mostly hates what we have tasted so far. Too acidic. There was an Auslese she liked, as the acid was balanced out.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:43 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Interesting wines for me, but Laura mostly hates what we have tasted so far. Too acidic.

Ok. I don't know your wife's palate, but the ones I've tasted haven't been too acidic for me. That said, they also haven't been electrifying, fabulous, or any of the other amazing adjectives people are claiming.

I suppose it always varies by wines, but the stuff I've tasted (mostly Ludes, Lauer and Falkenstein) was delicious and a bit more refreshing than other vintages, so I would be happy to have more. But I'm not racing out to stockpile as much as possible. (Of course I don't chase anything, so maybe that's just a personality/storage/finance difference...)
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:55 pm

I am so sick of all the hype for riesling over the last 2-3 vintages. German rieslings used to slip under the radar relatively, certainly compared to Bordeaux and Burgundy, but there seems to have been a real push lately. The impact of new players in the game, maybe? But 2021 have been hyped like crazy, and I see now 2022 is also already getting attention. Honestly, the chase of the next greatest vintage makes me get crankier every year!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:17 pm

John S wrote:I am so sick of all the hype for riesling over the last 2-3 vintages. German rieslings used to slip under the radar relatively, certainly compared to Bordeaux and Burgundy, but there seems to have been a real push lately. The impact of new players in the game, maybe? But 2021 have been hyped like crazy, and I see now 2022 is also already getting attention. Honestly, the chase of the next greatest vintage makes me get crankier every year!

Same here. People who claim extensive experience, but have only been tasting widely since maybe 2009 or later create these hype bubbles over vintages with real shortcomings. I won’t toss out 2021 yet, but 2020 has serious mid-palate problems.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:01 pm

While I'm much older than Rahsaan, 01 was also first German vintage that I followed closely on release. Remains my benchmark, and I have to force myself to open my few remaining bottles.
While I dabble, my days of heavy Riesling buying are behind me. I'm 62, healthy, but I like my Riesling with some age, and I'm not THAT confident.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:13 pm

I’m 56 and dramatically cutting back on buying this year. Dropped a lot of lists, unsubscribed from multiple retailer emails, and declined some very tempting offers even for German wines.

Thankfully the 2001 stash is still robust.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:00 pm

Time for another bottle,

• 2001 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (8/8/2023)
    The beauty of 2001 includes an incredibly high degree of consistency. I had a bottle in March, and this one is just as profound. The intensity is the same. The fruit and honey are in perfect balance. It’s about as good as mature German Riesling Spätlese can be. Magic in a bottle yet again.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:20 pm

Dale Williams wrote:While I'm much older than Rahsaan, 01 was also first German vintage that I followed closely on release. Remains my benchmark, and I have to force myself to open my few remaining bottles.
While I dabble, my days of heavy Riesling buying are behind me. I'm 62, healthy, but I like my Riesling with some age, and I'm not THAT confident.

Age 62 was just about when I slowed down my buying of wines which IMO need 15+ to show their best, i.e. GCCs, 1ers crus and their equivalents from Bordeaux, Burgundy, Rhône, Langhe, Tuscany, Mosel, Nahe, etc. That was 23 years ago! I now regret not having a better selection from vintages up to and including 2010. But who knows what fate will bring?
Tim York
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:51 pm

I’m 56, and still buying like a (slightly less) drunken sailor. That will slow dramatically in the next 3-22 months (exact timing TBD - the goalposts move every day depending on my mood) when I retire.

Since I love both young and old Riesling I keep picking away at current vintages.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:54 am

David M. Bueker wrote:I’m 56...in the next 3-22 months...when I retire.

Congrats. And plans/projects for life after a relatively-young retirement?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:48 am

Rahsaan wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:I’m 56...in the next 3-22 months...when I retire.

Congrats. And plans/projects for life after a relatively-young retirement?

1. Spend lots more time on photography, whether local birds, or vacation stuff
2. Turn much of our yard into a pollinator garden (from what I hear a time consuming and on going project)
3. Reclaim my golf swing (I used to be quite good)
4. Mid-week hiking!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:39 am

David M. Bueker wrote:1. Spend lots more time on photography, whether local birds, or vacation stuff
2. Turn much of our yard into a pollinator garden (from what I hear a time consuming and on going project)
3. Reclaim my golf swing (I used to be quite good)
4. Mid-week hiking!

All admirable stuff. I saw on Berserkers that you sold off some wine for camera equipment. Nice to re-balance interests.

A pollinator garden is also very noble. At one point in NC, I wanted to get bees. But then the move to Nyc happened. (I can actually still get involved with bees in Manhattan, although not as close to my apartment as it would have been in my NC backyard)