The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: An Italian SauvBlanc/and Barbera....(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: An Italian SauvBlanc/and Barbera....(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:25 pm

Tried these two last night w/ DinDin:
1. Venica Sauvignon Ronco delle Mele Dd'OC: DolegnaDist/Collio (13.5%; Plntd: 1983; GiulianaImprts/Boulder) Gianni e Giorgio Venica/Venica&Venica/Dolegna/Collio 2021: Med.gold color; intense herbal/SB/bit weedy/slightly ripe/melony rather chalky/mineral rather Loire/Pouilly-Fume-like some complex nose; fairly tart/tangy/bit metallic strong/intense very herbal/SB/some weedy rather stony/chalky/mineral some complex flavor; very long/lingering rather intense herbal/SB/weedy fairly stony/mineral/chalky/bit earthy finish; lots of mineral/herbal/SB character that resembles a Pouilly-Fume; seems pretty overpriced for what it is. $60.00 (SFW&S)
2. Vigneti Massa Terra marca obertenga Barbera DOC: Colli Tortonesi (12.5%; PortoVino/Buffalo/NY) WalterMassa/Monleale 2021:Med./med.light color; strong very spicy/Barbera some Italian sausage/dried Italian herbs bit earthy light pencilly/oak slight blackberry bit complex rather attractive nose; fairly tart/tangy bit lean/hard quite spicy/Barbera/dried Italian herbs somewhat earthy/dusty/OV light pencilly/oak pretty classic Piemontese Barbera w/ modest tangy tannins; very long strong spicy/Barbera/dried Italian herbs/bit blackberry some earthy/dusty/OV bit complex finish w/ modest tannins; a very attractive expression of Piemonte Barbera w/o the acidity or tannins to take your head off; can benefit from several yrs of age; quite a nice Barbera at a good price. $17.00 (SFW&S)
Most Friuli SB's are fairly mild-mannered w/ lots of ripe melony character. This was probably the most intense Friuli SB I can recall. This is labeled as one of the most awarded wines in all Italy. Which is probably why the high price. But seems rather overpriced to me.
2. Walter Massa is, of course, most famous for reviving the Timorasso grape in the AltoPiemonte. I've only had his Timos. His wines recently made an appearance in NM (only the Piccolo Timo), but this was the first of his reds I've seen. So thought I'd give it a shot. It is quite a nice expression of Piemontese Barbara & I hope I can try some of his other wines.
Tom