The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Brion's Song

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Brion's Song

by David M. Bueker » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:13 am

1997 Château Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (3/30/2023)
Part of a larger tasting with a lot of really good wines, this clearly stood out, especially considering the low expectations from the vintage. Opened about two hours before we tried it, the aromatics were all about earthiness, aged tobacco and dusty, almost dried fruit. I really didn't need to drink it, as it smelled so wonderful I was happy to just take another sniff every minute or so. The aromatics alone were enough. That said it tasted very good as well, even if it was lighter in body than normal for a first growth. It also went through a couple of twits and turns, where it was richer for a few minutes, then got lighter, and then filled out again. Not a lot of structure left, so I think this was about as good a time as any to have opened it, and everyone around the table enjoyed, so job well done Haut-Brion!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Brion's Song

by Jenise » Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:43 pm

I was planning to open a 2001 to go with last night's Flannery steak, but the steak delivery was so late I debated because what if they didn't come? Didn't want to repeat Lafite+cornchips.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:52 pm

Lafite plus tortilla chips sounds good to me!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:02 pm

I once took a Grange to the beach to drink on the sand with a bag of In n' Outs (pre Sideways, this wasn't a copycat move), but that was at least intentional.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov