The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1998 Jos. Christoffel Jr. Ürziger Würzgarten

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Daniel K

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:24 pm

Sweden

WTN: 1998 Jos. Christoffel Jr. Ürziger Würzgarten

by Daniel K » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:02 pm

• 1998 Jos. Christoffel Jr. (Christoffel-Prüm) Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer, Mosel (3/3/2007)
    I bought a couple of German 2005 Rieslings a week ago, but decided I needed something else to drink short term. The importer recommended this and I'm glad I followed his advice.
    A very light golden golden color, almost transparent, but I actually noticed the smell before the color, all it took was popping the cork for the lovely Riesling aromas to show themselves. I poured a few drops in a glass and decanted the rest. The fantastic scent of aged Riesling is like nothing else, petrol almost rubber like and rocks, oily and still closed. It did however open up after a 2-3h in the decanter and became more floral with sweet citrus as well.

The taste was just as good, more available than the nose, with sweet citrus fruit and mineral initially. Then sweetness and at the end perfect acidity to cleans the palate. The finish goes on for more than 1 minute. If I was to be critical it perhaps lacked some complexity on the palate. But I don't really care, in fact I wish I had a glass right now.:P
    I'm definitely buying more of this, should keep for another couple of years without any problems.

Posted from CellarTracker