The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Ante/Post Diluvian-StAubin, Bandol,GG, StEm, Cornas+

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Ante/Post Diluvian-StAubin, Bandol,GG, StEm, Cornas+

by Dale Williams » Thu May 04, 2023 3:44 pm

A rough week, and I got behind on notes.

I grilled some Hmart chicken thighs, Betsy made Chinese mustard greens with oyster mushrooms and haiga rice
2005 Louis Carillon “Les Pitangerets” Saint-Aubin 1er rouge
This is why much of St Aubin is being planted in Chardonnay! Hard tannins, sharp acids, dilute red cranberry fruit, green pepper. Don’t think just shut down, it’s just no fun! B-/C+

Betsy left for CA, I had some bouillabaisse from freezer with a salad and the 2020 Pibarnon Bandol rose. On riper side of Bandol rose, rich cherry and strawberry, nice floral notes, but needs a bit more tension and verve. B

The 2016 Raventos i Blanc de la Finca is a pretty great cava, even if they no longer call themselves Cava (Conca del Riu Anoia ), Feisty acids, lovely mousse, tart citrus, light notes of almonds and herbs. B++

On a rainy Saturday. Mussels in kombu broth, spinach, couscous (made with quail broth), with the 2018
De Villaine Aligote (Bouzeron).
The ripeness of the vintage really shows, I want Aligote to have real snap, this is like ripe orchard fruits. B-

I spent most of a super-rainy Sunday working (big meeting), came home to my slow cooker full of lamb neck, mushrooms and white beans.

The cooking wine was the 2020 Josh Cabernet Sauvignon. Wow, even sweeter than I anticipated. Red plums, vanilla, low acid. C+

Dinner wine was the 1992 Cuchet Beliando Cornas. Quite nice showing for the vintage- balanced acids, resolved tannin, bright light red fruits, a little animal note. B

Monday was not a good day. I woke up to discover a foot of water in basement - sump pump was working, but couldn’t keep up. Many many hours over next few days throwing out stuff, reboxing wine, etc. Furnace survived but killed laundry and hot water heater. I had planned to go to city that night, instead stayed home working and eventually having frozen chili. Decided I needed a reward, that reward was the 2011 Donnhoff Dellchen GG (wet label). After a crappy day this was the only bright spot. Lovely citrus (blood orange and grapefruit), slatey minerals, concentrated yet lithe. Ripe fruit sweetness but long dry finish. A-

Tuesday was another drear of a day, roasted a chicken, made some farro, and opened a 1982 La Dominique (St Emilion). Soft and ready, sweet ‘82 dark berry fruit with leather, mushrooms, cedar. Nice. B+/B

No wine Wednesday because picking up Betsy from airport, hurrah.
Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Ante/Post Diluvian-StAubin, Bandol,GG, StEm, Cornas

by David M. Bueker » Mon May 29, 2023 11:30 am

Opened a bottle of the 2020 Pibarnon yesterday, and agree it’s a little fat for rosé, but the flavors are good.

2020 Château de Pibarnon Bandol Rosé - France, Provence, Bandol (5/28/2023)
Opened as an aperitif on a hot, late spring day, this showed surprising richness, and needed to be kept reasonably cool. Plenty of ripe red fruit flavors, and just a touch of orange rind. Certainly has the depth to hang on for a few more years, though I would probably drink up relatively soon.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon May 29, 2023 2:20 pm

You were too nice to that Josh. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Patrick Martin

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:28 am

by Patrick Martin » Tue May 30, 2023 2:19 pm

Flooded basement, sorry to hear Dale. You guys get a big dump of rain?

I had some rain/snow melt ruin the cork flooring in my cellar not long ago, but there was no other damage aside from that (silly how the water got inside).