The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Volnay, Chablis NZ SB in Seattle

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Volnay, Chablis NZ SB in Seattle

by Dale Williams » Sat May 27, 2023 9:42 am

The day we made our plane reservations for Seattle, Betsy told me our hostess was busy Th night, so we should find a place to eat that night. So 10 minutes later I’m looking at my phone news feed and there is an article on James Beard nominees. One nominee was Copine in Seattle, so 5 minutes later we had a reservation. When we got to Seattle Sarah’s plans had changed, and we were able to change reservation to 4 people.

Nice modern industrial space, but with acoustic tiles so sound is manageable. They brought out a couple of nice amuses- a cold asparagus soup, and an onion tart (and then some nice yeast rolls with butter). I started with wagyu beef tartare (with pickled egg, potato chips, herbs) while Betsy had foie gras royale (custard). Then I had the broccolini with poached egg & romesco , she had squid ink tagliatelle with pork belly, For mains I had lamb chops with polenta, tomato marmalade, and grilled onions; Betsy had halibut rolled in squash with morels and favas. I enjoyed a savory “dessert” (chevre with celery salad and sour cherries), Betsy had the pancake (more like a crumpet) with blueberry ice cream,
I carried two wines
2013 Fevre Les Clos Chablis GC
Quite tight at first, takes about an hour to begin to unfold. Stony minerals, crisp apple, citrus zest. Good but needs time B+ for now

2002 Chandon des Briailles Caillerets Volnay 1er

Red fruit, sandalwood, touch of coffee. Blanched, poised, in a very good place. A-/B+

At hosts’ house with dinner (Copper River sockeye), the 2021 Whitehaven Sauvignon Blanc. Grapefruit and a little mango, distinct but not overwhelming grass and gooseberry, clean and easy, B/B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Volnay, Chablis NZ SB in Seattle

by Jenise » Sat May 27, 2023 11:44 am

The food at Copine sounds amazing. I had a table booked there a year ago March but ended up having to cancel; I never got back. The chevre with celery salad and sour cherries sounds amazing--so different. Welcome to our corner of the world!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat May 27, 2023 5:22 pm

Jenise wrote:The chevre with celery salad and sour cherries sounds amazing--so different.

Yes, cherries are amazing. One of my favorite fruits. And can be used in lots of nice cooking/savory preps as well. They are so expensive on the East Coast, I rarely get them. But I gorge myself in Europe!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun May 28, 2023 1:31 pm

I'm fortunate to live where they grow. Haven't seen any yet--as with grapes, California fruit usually comes in earlier than Washington, and this year everything's behind.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun May 28, 2023 4:26 pm

Saw Calif cherries today in Edmonton AB.