The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Vieux Telegraphe CdP La Crau 1998

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

fjlosada

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:33 pm

New York

WTN: Vieux Telegraphe CdP La Crau 1998

by fjlosada » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:05 am

Just an excellent bottle of CdP. Bright purple color. Aroma of flowers, dark berries and orange rind. Initially very tight, it improved with air, although it is not anywhere near ready to drink. Medium body, with great intensity and delineation of flavors. 14% abv. Provencal herbs, black pepper, ripe berries, earth, olives. Gripping tannins. Medium/long finish. Better with food. It will be even better in a few years. Great stuff. Kermit Lynch import.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: TN: Vieux Telegraphe CdP La Crau 1998

by James Roscoe » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:22 am

I had a bottle of this about two months ago with some grilled ribeyes. It was out of sight. Quite frankly I didn't know what I had at the time. It was awesome, but a little young in my mind. It was definitely better with the steaks.
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:58 am

Thanks much for the note. It's another good data point. I think I have 8 or 9 of a case of this left. the first three or four were sacrificed for science - usually around NCAA finals time. This wine went into a very deep and unforgiving sleep shortly after purchase in 2000. In March 2002 it was disgusting, angular, and showing zero fruit, and not much better 2 days later. In 04 it was less disgusting, but really showing nothing. This last March, it decided to wake up, or at least start the process, and is just now beginning to show what it might be. I am not going to call it excellent yet - though it does show promise.
-OW
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:19 am

Thanks for the TN. I opened one of my six bottles two years ago and like everyone else found it very tight and unyielding. Think I will wait another year of two before opening another.
Walt