The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wines and cheese. Do they work together??

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Wines and cheese. Do they work together??

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:53 pm

Here is a very interesting article with pics of HRH Jancis!!!!!

http://www.wineanorak.com/wineandcheese.htm

Thanks Jamie for this great piece.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Totally Bizarre...

by TomHill » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:14 pm

What the hey (Kansas colloquialism for heck) are those bright green wines in a few of the glasses in the pics??

Pretty much the same as my experience of cheese & wine. Wine doesn't much effect the cheese. But the cheese can/usually have a dramatic effect on the wine. Sometimes it destroys the wine. Most often, it just changes the wine, not for better nor for worse, just changes it. And then, on rare occasions, there is that synergistic combination when the cheese will lift the wine to greater heights. But doesn't happen very often.
This is, of course, heresy...because everyone KNOWS that cheese and wine are the ideal pairings.
Tom
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Re: Totally Bizarre...

by Maria Samms » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:39 pm

Interesting article...I wished they had worked with even more wines and cheeses though, and left out the other alcoholic beverages. I haven't tried white with cheeses, but I have had lots of reds with aged hard cheeses and I never thought they were great matches either. However, did any one else feel like there were contradictions in the article by Jancis?

For example:
We then tried the variously salted goat’s cheeses with the carefully oaked Sauvignon and found that all of them made the wine taste horribly oily and hot.

This implies that oaky wines don't go with salty cheeses...yes?

Then:

Finally we had worked our way round to the Colston Bassett Stilton and with this very strong, salty blue cheese there was no doubt that sweet wines went best – Monbazillac was the finest match but both the Aubert and Gewurz managed to stand up to it too. The Aubert California Chardonnay was in fact the most versatile wine of the evening.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin