The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: 2003 Stags' Leap Fay and SLV

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

TN: 2003 Stags' Leap Fay and SLV

by geo t. » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:18 pm

2003 Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars Napa Stags Leap District Cabernet Sauvignon Fay, $80, 13.7% alc.: This dark garnet exudes a lovely perfume of rich black currant-cassis shaded with notes of chocolate, tobacco and perfectly integrated oak, all of which follows through beautifully on the palate. Like everything else tasted on this occasion, this exhibits the impeccable balance and finesse that is the hallmark of this producer; it has a lovely personality, with a smooth mouth feel and deceptive structure that will carry it well for several years of development in the cellar, and yet it already drinks so well that one might have a hard time keeping hands off, especially to pair with any fine cut of beef or lamb. Classic Napa Cabernet; an iron fist in a velvet glove indeed! Sourced from the legendary Fay Vineyard, seeing 27 months of French oak and 100% malolactic fermentation.

2003 Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars Napa Stags Leap District Cabernet Sauvignon S.L.V., 98.8% Cabernet Sauvignon, 1.2% Merlot, $110, 14.1% alc.: Dark garnet color, and although a little less effusive on the nose than the Fay, it still displays a lovely perfume that features a little dust, a little earth and black currant-cassis shaded with a hint of chocolate, and these impressions follow through on the palate beautifully; impeccably balanced, this is clearly a deeper, darker wine than the Fay, less immediately gorgeous and needing more time in the cellar, five years minimum. Another classic. 40% of Stag’s Leap’s S.L.V. Vineyard was too young for production in 2003, due to a continuous replanting program that had taken place over the previous decade, so this wine was sourced primarily from Blocks 1A and 2A, planted in the early ‘90s, along with Block 4, the last remaining block from the original 1970 planting. 100% stainless steel fermentation, followed by 27 months in French Oak; 100% malolactic.

- from Tasting Two Napa Wineries: Stags' Leap Wine Cellars and Merryvale Vineyards

Reporting from Day-twah,

geo t.
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: TN: 2003 Stags' Leap Fay and SLV

by Brian K Miller » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:05 am

Thanks, george! Although I can't really afford it, I still really love Stag's Leap. I have a 2002 Fay in my cellar. Maybe I'll pull it out next year.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

Re: TN: 2003 Stags' Leap Fay and SLV

by geo t. » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:23 am

Brian K Miller wrote:Thanks, george! Although I can't really afford it, I still really love Stag's Leap. I have a 2002 Fay in my cellar. Maybe I'll pull it out next year.

Brian, if you're going to spend the money, you might as well spend it on something like Stags' Leap, rather than a lot of the overextracted manipulated stuff that gets the inflated scores these days, yet doesn't even drink well with food.

Just my 2 oz.,

geo
Nunquam Spuemus