The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Cedarville '01 Petite Sirah

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

WTN: Cedarville '01 Petite Sirah

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:45 am

From the Naylor Vineyard in El Dorado county (which, I believe, used to provide the grapes for Granite Springs Vineyard's PS). This was Cedarville's first offering for this grape and their first that was not an estate bottling. 13.7% alcohol.

Color is the proper very dark red/black for PS. Upon opening, the nose was a bit shy, with a little dark fruit and some oak showing. On the palate, it seemed rather shut down. Again, a little dark fruit with some toasty oak, firm but not overwhelming tannins, an acidic bite. But not much else. I wondered whether this was shut down or had reached an early demise. I drank a couple of glasses, corked the bottle, and left it for a day.

Things changed on day 2. The nose had developed a lovely perfumey character along with more of a dark fruit emphasis. The balance had not shifted from day 1, with the tannins and tartness still very evident. But there was no indication of oxidation and there was a layer of dark fruit flavor that managed to carry through the mid-palate to overlay the tannins on the finish. Much better on day 2, leading me to believe that this wine has more than a couple of years left in it. (Unfortunately, I don't think I have any bottles left!)

Overall verdict - really good PS.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

Re: WTN: Cedarville '01 Petite Sirah

by James Dietz » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:57 pm

Cedarville makes some very nice wines... one of my favorite QPR producers...
Cheers, Jim