The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Corison Cab, Bandol, Belle Pente, some old favs and some new ones

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

WTN: Corison Cab, Bandol, Belle Pente, some old favs and some new ones

by Marc D » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:40 pm

2001 Corison Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley, California

First time I have tried a wine from Cathy Corison. I know, I need to get out more, but it is hard to keep up with everything. I had heard good things about these wines, and this was even better than expected. Great balance of ripeness of the fruit and acidity. The flavors are pure and there is good concentration, very restrained oak flavors, and fine grained tannins. I think this would be a great cellar candidate. This could change my mind about not buying any more Napa cabs. Highly recommended for the elegant style. Outstanding. Thanks, John.

2000 Domaine Bunan Bandol Mas de la Rouviere Bandol, France

Dark red color. Initial lots of fruit in the nose, ripe plum, some funk, old leather. Dry and a bit ashy (new oak?) in the mouth. Supple tannins, good acidity. After about 20 minutes this started to close up and became a bit volatile and the 14.5 % alcohol was more prominent. Not bad. I would wait a while before opening more bottles as this only showed well for the first glass.

2002 Belle Pente Pinot Noir Estate Reserve Oregon, Yamhill County

Having recently enjoyed a lovely, open and delicious 2002 Evesham Wood I took a chance opening this one. Oh well, too early. It is a bit reductive and funky right now, earthy, the fruit is hidden, but from prior tastings I am sure this is just closed right now. HOLD.

2005 Jean-Pierre et Jean-Francois Quenard Vin de Savoie Chignin Anne de la Biguerne Savoie, France

Very minerally nose, blue stone and even a hint of salty seashell. Crisp. lively and slightly tart in the mouth. A wine I could drink buckets of without giving it much thought on a warm sunny afternoon. Very good for what it is and what it doesn't try to be.

2004 Domaine Billard Bourgogne "Milliane" Burgundy, France

Opened an hour or so before drinking, not decanted, served at cellar temp. Ruby red and translucent in the glass. Lovely Burgundy nose of red cherry berry fruit and damp leaves. Later the nose developed a bit of milk chocolate. Slim bodied, and seems lean by itself, but much better with a simple stew of root vegetables, mushrooms and tri tip. More structure (acid and some tannin) than fruit. Nice elegant food friendly bourgogne, not a blockbuster. No under ripe or green notes. If scoring, good to potentially very good.

2005 Domaine Robert Perroud Côte de Brouilly "La Fournaise du Perou" Vieilles Vignes Beaujolais, France

Really nice bottle. Dark cherries and earth/minerals. Moderate tannins, maybe not as structured as some other 05 Beaujolais . Drank well, maybe even a little better the second day open. Very good.

2005 François Pinon Vouvray Cuvée Tradition Loire Valley, France

Demisec yumminess. Spiced yellow peaches in a light liquor sauce. Good body, rich but balanced by crisp acids and the fruit stands side by side with chalky minerals towards the finish. Very fine value.

2001 Boasso Barolo Serralunga Piedmont, Italy

I've posted a few notes on the Boasso and this was another good, if forward, bottle of Barolo. Showed more cigar box in the nose than prior bottles, together with spiced bitter cherry. Still very pure nebbiolo fruit, and tannins quite supple.

2005 Gramona Penedès Gessami Penedès, Spain

70% Muscat, 30% Sauvignon blanc. The Muscat really shows in the perfumed nose. Like walking through a flower garden at night, jasmine, honeysucke, gardenia all come to mind. It is clean if not quite crisp in the mouth and was best when served with a chill. Not serious but light and floral and pleasant. 11.5%, slightly off dry.

2002 Domaine Vacheron Sancerre Loire Valley, France

Nice wine, grapefruit and some grass in the nose, chalky mineral and some limon flavors. Still fresh acidity, and very drinkable. Maybe at a peak?

2002 McCrea Sirocco Washington, USA

A blend of Grenache, Syrah, Mourvedre and Counoise. Dark opaque purple color. Rich grenache fruit nose, with plum, blackberry, and a little smoke. Sweet ripe fruit and blocky in the mouth, lots of coconut oak flavors also. Lacks structure. Not my favorite style.

Cheers,
Marc
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: WTN: Corison Cab, Bandol, Belle Pente, some old favs and some new ones

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:03 pm

2001 Corison Cabernet Sauvignon I think this would be a great cellar candidate.
Corison is one of the few Cali Cabs that I buy any more, Marc. Really nice finesse with excellent purity. The '95 is drinking really well right now but I'm holding off for a couple of more years on '96 regular and Kronos.

Thanks for the rest of the notes as well. I've been eyeing that Pinon Vouvray and I guess it's time to pick up a few.
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:25 pm

I've been eyeing that Pinon Vouvray and I guess it's time to pick up a few.

It can be found for under $15 so definitely worth trying, especially if you like a little demi sec richness in your Vouvray. I think the 05 Chidaine Montlouis are a little more profound, but also more expensive. I hope you post your impression if you try it.

The Corison was a revelation for me. Is the Kronos a single vineyard or something?

Best,
marc
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:12 pm

The Corison was a revelation for me. Is the Kronos a single vineyard or something?
Ya, as far as I know, Kronos Vineyard holds older vines. Kronos is a more powerful wine than the regular cab. It still has elegance and really no oak intrusion at all but its just all around larger..more concentrated, more tannic.

think the 05 Chidaine Montlouis are a little more profound, but also more expensive.
Havent had the '05 yet Marc but I've really liked past vintages. Thanks!
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:06 pm

Marc D wrote:

70% Muscat, 30% Sauvignon blanc. The Muscat really shows in the perfumed nose. Like walking through a flower garden at night, jasmine, honeysucke, gardenia all come to mind. It is clean if not quite crisp in the mouth and was best when served with a chill. Not serious but light and floral and pleasant. 11.5%, slightly off dry.

Marc, sounds like you enjoyed this more than I did. (I posted within the past 3 weeks on this) Did you keep this the next day? It needs to be drunk in one sitting, because mine fell apart soon thereafter. The blend is actually 3 grapes, with 2 kinds of muscat (Alexandria & Fontignac).
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:23 pm

Nice notes, Marc. Really gives me an idea which of those wines I would enjoy.
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:14 pm

Mark S wrote:
Marc D wrote:

Marc, sounds like you enjoyed this more than I did. (I posted within the past 3 weeks on this) Did you keep this the next day? It needs to be drunk in one sitting, because mine fell apart soon thereafter. The blend is actually 3 grapes, with 2 kinds of muscat (Alexandria & Fontignac).

Mark,

The first sniff was the highlight. An A- if you like floral muscat aromas. In the mouth, light and inconsequential, kind of a easy drinker, maybe a B/C.

A bit left over the next day had totally fallen off the cliff, less flowers, and something like glue aromas?

It was opened alongside about 8 bottles at a recent party, and I tried it and moved along. I think I would agree with your note, but I did like the first glass. I was under the impression it wasn't too expensive, (a friend brought it over), but I read your note, and think $18 is too much.

Best,
Marc
Marc Davis