The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Plum wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Plum wine

by Maria Samms » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:50 pm

I haven't had any for years...but used to always have a glass with my sushi. Is it made from plums? What do you all think of it? Do you think it's a good match with sushi?
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: Plum wine

by Paul B. » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:29 pm

Hi Maria!

Great question - I can't remember the last time we've discussed plum wine or any other non-grape fruit wines here. To be perfectly honest, the last time I had a plum wine was in the summer of 1998! It was a Damson Plum wine made by Sunnybrook Farm Winery in Niagara on the Lake. I think it was dry, but I can't recall exactly. It had a beautiful colour - intensely saturated ruby-purple - and it had a very poignant nose. The acidity was also very powerful, and although I was fascinated by the wine, I found it a tad difficult to drink. Still, because the setting was outdoors and around a campfire, it was pretty good. I think it was oaked - overoaked, to be precise. Your post makes me wonder if Sunnybrook still makes that wine.

Sorry about the sushi part - I've never tried sushi so I can't say.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Ben Rotter

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:59 pm

Sydney, Australia (currently)

by Ben Rotter » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:29 pm

Maria Samms wrote:but used to always have a glass with my sushi. Is it made from plums? What do you all think of it? Do you think it's a good match with sushi?

Maria,

Are you talking about "Japanese plum wine" (i.e., Ume shu)? If so, that's probably not what many (including Paul above) would call plum wine, as Ume shu (the Japanese "plum wine") is a liquer made from steeping fruit in distilled alcohol.

Ben
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:18 pm

Gee Ben...I have no idea. It probably is Japanese plum wine since I always ordered at a sushi place. I would just say, "Can I have a glass of plum wine?". They would give me a glass of a very thick, sweet, alcoholic beverage. It never seemed very potent though.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:39 pm

I have little experience with plum wine, but I thought I'd add a comment on non-grape wines. For several years I was involved with running a fairly large annual home wine competition. There were several categories of grape wines. Non-grape wines were divided into berry fruit, tree fruit and "other". Berries, such as blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, elderberries, etc. generally make better wines than tree fruits such as apple, peach, cherry, etc. In fact, one of the nicest wines I ever tasted was a blueberry entered in one of these contests. Not unlike a decent Cab. "Other" included such things as potato, pumpkin, tomato - the reasons for which I fail to understand. :roll:
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:32 am

Maria Samms wrote:Gee Ben...I have no idea. It probably is Japanese plum wine since I always ordered at a sushi place. I would just say, "Can I have a glass of plum wine?". They would give me a glass of a very thick, sweet, alcoholic beverage. It never seemed very potent though.

It may be called plum wine, but as mentioned above, "plum wine" is shochu with green plums and sugar, hence the sweetness. Which may cover the alcohol, but plum wine is usually 30-40% alcohol, much more than "normal" wine.
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:23 am

Well, this won't classify as wine, either, but I developed a liking for slivovice from the Czech Republic. Popularly known as plum brandy and prevalent pretty much throughout eastern Europe (by various names), it's actually distilled from fermented plum juice. A nice aperitif, but certainly not what Maria was enjoying with her sushi.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:34 am

Keith M wrote:A nice aperitif, but certainly not what Maria was enjoying with her sushi.

Although with less sweetness, it might actually go better with most unsauced sushi than umeshu.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:42 pm

Yup - Sunnybrook is still making their dry Damson Plum wine! However, it's much lighter now given the picture, than it was in '98.

Check it out
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:42 am

Maria Samms wrote: Do you think it's a good match with sushi?

Having been early and loyal customers of a nice local Japanese restaurant, the owner frequently provides us with complimentary small glasses of chilled plum wine after dinner. I really don't picture it with my sushi, but it sure is an enjoyable dessert treat.

-- Clark