The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: General Notes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

TN: General Notes

by Mark S » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:37 am

Shalestone, Merlot, Finger Lakes, 2003 From a not-so-great-year in the storied Fingered Latkes, this a dark cranberry red colored brew with plums and ripe crabapple. Inside are light redfruits (redcurrants & Santa Rosa plums). this is light-medium bodied, tart tannins on the finish and touch of volatile acidity, telling me it's time to drink up. Composite cork and something like 13% alcohol. Not bad at all, but the VA bothers me. B

Beaucastel, CDP blanc, 1995
Butterscotch gold colored. Oxidated nose of butterscotch and kerosene-soaked lanolin/kitchen grease rags. On the downside of maturity, with toffee-ish caramel and butterscotch in lemon oil, finishes with lemony beeswax and becoming nutty with hazlenut/walnut shell with aeration. Not heavy bodied at all and rather somewhat light. Interesting, if perhaps better a few years ago. B+

Dominio de Atauta, Ribera del Duero, 2001 Darkly black plum colored. A perfumy nose that's got potential but isn't all reveealing yet. Dark fruits, earthy styled, still too young to call, but should age well for 4-5 years. Has some tannins to shed. Dusty crushed stones in the finish. 13.5% A polished Ribero, and - if tasted blind - would not peg as one from that region. B+, and thanks Marc!

Benanti, Etna Rosso 'Rossodiverzella', 2001
A light see-through cherry red. Straw, incense and raisins on the nose. Cherry-straw and newspaper package stuffing, prune juice. 2nd day takes on a NYC subway stink along with a bitterish chinnato finish. The weight is lighter than what I expected. 13.5% B

Durin, Riviera Ligure di Ponente, Pigato, 2004
Dull chartreuse gold. Aromas of sunflowers in freshly poured cement. Dull lemony-yellow/white fruits, chalk on the short finish. Okay, but better deals out there for $18. B

Domaine du Vissoux, Beaujolais vielles vignes, 'Cuvee traditional', 2005
lively beet red color. Fresh plum skin, iron, medicine cabinet aroma. Black raspberry and light iron-rich earth, some sweet beets on the finish. Light and easy going down, like eating fresh fruit picked from the yard. A-

Domaine du Mas Blanc, Collioure, 'Les Junquets', 2002
Deep black cherry red color. Very intensely scented incense and dark plums. Unfortuantely, the nose is the best part. Sharp acidity attacks the fairly thin and green palate make this one nasty summabitch. Age might smooth what tastes like a bad vintage, but I feel it is lacking in carryover power to become significantly better. B/B-