The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Anyone here prune their vines yet?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Anyone here prune their vines yet?

by Paul B. » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:59 am

Just wondering if any of our grape-growing WLDGers (either backyard vineyard or if you're commercially involved with a vineyard) have pruned their vines yet, assuming that you live in the Northern hemisphere.

I haven't gotten mine done yet, but will be watching the temperatures closely over the next couple of weeks. Last year I pruned toward the end of February - a bit early - but it all worked out fine. This year, because February was very cold and I want to leave more growth on the vines until the most bitter cold passes, I'll be waiting to mid-to-late-March to do it.

Last year we had a terribly cold and rainy autumn, which resulted in some poorly-hardened canes on my Concord - which also happened to put out a heavy crop last year. My Niagara hasn't fruited yet, so it was spared that stress and seems to have matured all its wood. I don't want to do it, but I may be forced to spur prune rather than cane prune my Concord.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Re: Anyone here prune their vines yet?

by Gary Barlettano » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:22 pm

Paul, I still need to take a course in canopy management (honestly). Here are my one and a half to two year old vines.
I think I'm just going to let them grow wild this year.<table width="80%"><tr><td>Image</td><td>Image</td></tr></table>
And now what?
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:39 pm

Awesome pics, Gary!!

Those are the sorts of views I'll be looking at in another month and a half or so on my own vines (though mine are in the ground and 2 and 3 years old, respectively).
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:50 pm

Not yet. Probably the end of March or early April.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Alan A.

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:22 pm

Being blue deep within a red state.

by Alan A. » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:11 pm

I pruned late last month. (Not so cold way down here in Alabama.) I'm expecting bud break soon since highs have been in the 60's and 70's for about two weeks here. My vines are 1 and 3 years old. I'm going to wait another year on the 3 year old vines before letting them produce so I can train the cordons better this year. When I planted I didn't have a clue what I was doing. I've done much better training the 1 year old vines so I'll have some good cordons by the end of summer and will let them produce next year. I'm also adding some Norton vines this year and a few Merlot (just as an experiment, if they die, I'll just replace them with more Norton or maybe some Chambourcin to blend with the Norton.) I've already have my posts set for my new additions and now just waiting on Double A Vineyards to send the vines.