The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Pinosity

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Pinosity

by Saina » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:48 am

Last night we had a nice small tasting of Pinots. We started off with a Pinot dominant Champagne, Blondel Brut Carte d'Or NV which was attractively earthy, floral and figgy with obvious Pinosity. The mousse was a bit on inelegant side, but flavorwise it was very nice. It had a harmonious balance of fruit and acid, though I did find a bit softer than I would like my Champs to be. It is a nice cheap Champ.

Jackson Estate Pinot Noir 2004 was an adequate wine with a very sweet nose, but still typical for the grape. The palate seemed a bit confected and the acidity was rather harsh - it seemed like it was badly added makeup instead of something that belonged in the wine. It was drinkable, even pleasurable, but it was outperformed by the others. I was happy that the oak wasn't as dominant as I had read in some reports.

Nicolas Potel Volnay VV 2001 was a very dark colour. So dark, in fact, that I've not seen anything like it except in Dugat-Py, so I was afraid it was going to be spoofy. But on the contrary it had a lovely (if slightly closed) nose of vegetation, rust/iron and minerals and pure Pinosity. The palate was sturdy and tannic with lovely acidity and tart, young fruit. Long. A very impressive wine and seemed very Volnay-like to me.

This is my first time with this producer. How do Burgundy lovers view them?

Domaine Drouhin Pinot Noir Willamette Valley 2001 was lovely as always. It rather reminded me of the Volnay in its almost metallic/rusty notes. It has great Pinosity and is perhaps a touch sweeter in its red toned fruit than the Burgundies today, but is a lovely wine.

Bouchard Père & Fils Le Corton Grand Cru 2002 was a rather stern wine. It had lovely loamy/earthy aromas and though very Burgundian was a rather brooding wine rather than a bright, red toned one. The palate, though perhaps a touch foursquare, was lovely and acidic with pure Pinot fruit and a long and mineral aftertaste. Much better than my previous encounter with this wine. This seems just like what a young Corton should be like. Very nice.

Bouchard Père & Fils Vigne de l'Enfant Jesus Beaune Greves 1er Cru 2003 was weird. The nose was rather chemical, sweet and confected - but not actually as bad as this makes it out to be. Pinosity was evident, but it was a bit freakish. The palate was very fruity, though a little hollow, low in acid but it did have enough to keep it in balance. The aftertaste was very hot. I didn't really care for it, but it is still one of the least bad 2003 Burgundies I've had.

Domaine Trapet Chapelle-Chambertin Grand Cru 2001 was a bit of an enigma to me. At times the smell was lovely: bright and red toned with an elegant earthiness. At other times dilly oak was noticable. It never was so noticable as to obscure the beautiful Pinosity underneath, but it was enough that I wasn't too enamoured. The palate was lovely, very 2001 in its restrained and bright aromatics and high acidity. I do like it, but did prefer some others tonight.

Again, this is my first time with this producer. How do Burgundy lovers view them?

Töövi Brosseau Vineyard Pinot Noir 2005 is made at Crushpad in California by a friend. One barrel was made: half of the staves new and half used oak. It's typical Californian Pinot with lots of sweet red fruit and typical Pinot aromatics. The palate is sweet and though rather low in acidity it has freshness. The 50% new oak doesn't show - gladly. The 14,3% abv does a little bit, however. A very fair wine if you like the California style.

Jean Grivot Vosne-Romanée 2000 was very open and seductive - like so many 2000s have recently been. It was rather sweet and showed much warm year Pinosity. It was savoury though the sweetness carried onto the palate. It had nice earthiness and overall balance. I liked it very much.

Broken record: this is my first time with this producer. How do Burgundy lovers view them?

A very nice evening indeed.

-O-
Last edited by Saina on Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: WTN: Pinosity

by Howie Hart » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:10 pm

Otto - the Nicolas Potel Volnay VV 2004 sounds like one to seek out and lay down for a while. Thanks for the notes.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:32 pm

Howie Hart wrote:Otto - the Nicolas Potel Volnay VV 2004 sounds like one to seek out and lay down for a while. Thanks for the notes.

It does indeed. Especially as it is a relative bargain at c.25€ + shipping from Germany = c.28€ / bottle.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:53 pm

Hi Otto,
Nice notes.
I'm interested in the colour comparison of the wines, but don't know if you have them lined up in a row on the table (which makes the colour comparison easy) or tasted the wines one after the other.

The reason I ask is that I lined up I did a line-up of NZ pinot noirs recently, and the Jackson Estate was the most saturated, most dense and deepest colour of all the wines. Mind you, the one I had was the 2005 and had a special designation' The Vintage Widow' but gee, it stood out.

I'm wondering if the NZ one stood out in your line-up.

Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:29 pm

Otto,

Though I have limited experience, I like Potel. I find the wines to be a bit larger scaled than I normally prefer, but they are well balanced, so I just lay them down for a while.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:16 am

Sue, I thought the 04 had a typical Pinot colour: deep red but see-through. Sure it's darker than most Burgundy, but that's only expected. I guess.

The one that stood out was the Volnay!

David, thanks for your impression on Potel.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:21 am

Otto Nieminen wrote:Nicolas Potel Volnay VV 2004...This is my first time with this producer. How do Burgundy lovers view them?

I don't know how much you know about Potel? The fact that he's a negociant whose father was Gerard Potel of Pousse d'Or, which is often explained as part of the reason why he has access to such great grapes which makes him stand out from other "lesser" negociants.

Personally I don't have enough experience with his extremely long portfolio to add more value here, but I was happy to read your note because I have his 04 Chambolle Les Fuees slotted for a tasting this week.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:43 am

Rahsaan thanks for that bit of info. I knew nothing of Potel (except recognised the name) before trying this.

BTW, the vintage of the Potel was 2001 not 2004.

-O-
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:29 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:Rahsaan thanks for that bit of info. I knew nothing of Potel (except recognised the name) before trying this.
-O-

He apparently sold the business as of 06 or 07 which led to much conjecture about the future of his work, but I think his line is that it will give the cash flow necessary to improve his work. If you do a search on ebob you'll get lots on info from past threads.