The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Shipping- when is enough enough?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Shipping- when is enough enough?

by Dale Williams » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:00 pm

I have only bought on Winecommune a few times (but have done dozens of other private transactions). But this week won a 7 bottle lot on WC. When bidding I noted that seller was in CT, and figured that was a plus - no crosscountry temp worries, cheap shipping, and I know that when I order from a couple of CT retailers that ground UPS always arrives next day.

So seller and I exchange a message, and today he sends invoice (with a note "I'll refund any overcharges on shipping."). Really? For 7 bottles sent UPS ground, he is invoicing me for $16.25 for a container, $10 for handling, and $30 for shipping/insurance. 3 minutes on UPS's site shows a 23 lb carton from his zip to mine with appropriate value is between $14 17.xx, depending on whether he drops off or picks up. My reaction is of course no way. He will only accept money order, so no recourse if he doesn't send refund.

Am I wrong to feel this ridiculous? Has anyone else ever had a private seller charge a handling fee?

I've sent a question to Winecommune. Just curious if anyone else DOESN'T see this as ridiculous. I wouldn't have quibbled at $30, $20 for shipping plus $10 for a shipper (though no private seller has ever charged me for the shipper that I recall). But can anyone imagine paying $56.25 for shipping 7 bottles (normal sized, btw) about 75 miles?
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: Shipping- when is enough enough?

by Randy Buckner » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:44 am

I'd simply notify him that the shipping charges are excessive. You'd like the wine, but will not pay a premium for shipping.

I've purchased wine from NY, having a full case shipped all the way across the country for $45. You have a right to question the charges.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Shipping- when is enough enough?

by Robin Garr » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:25 am

Dale Williams wrote:Am I wrong to feel this ridiculous? Has anyone else ever had a private seller charge a handling fee?

I've sent a question to Winecommune. Just curious if anyone else DOESN'T see this as ridiculous. I wouldn't have quibbled at $30, $20 for shipping plus $10 for a shipper (though no private seller has ever charged me for the shipper that I recall). But can anyone imagine paying $56.25 for shipping 7 bottles (normal sized, btw) about 75 miles?

Of course it's ridiculous, Dale. I'd say he's nickel-and-diming you, but that would be an understatement.

Heck, 75 miles? It would be cheaper to jump in the car on a weekend and go over to pick it up. As a matter of fact, it would be interesting to try to smoke him out by suggesting that, and see how he responds.

I would also expect WineCommune to go to bat for you on this, and frankly, if they won't, this will also tell us something about WineCommune. I hope you'll keep us posted as to what they say.