The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2000 Vergelegen Merlot, South Africa

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 2000 Vergelegen Merlot, South Africa

by Jenise » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:25 pm

2000 Vergelen Merlot, South Africa

Vergelegen is one of South Africa's best wineries, and merlot is a grape that is particularly well suited to the Stellenbosch climate. This wine is proof of both. Almost black in color. Nose of green tobacco, cedar and blackberry, with concentrated blackberry, boysenberry, espresso, chocolate and spice on the palate. Dusty tannins lead into a long finish, and perfect acidity holds it all together. Drinking exceptionally well right now, the wine is at the perfect crossroads between primary flavors and secondary development. Notably, it lacks any of the smoked/roasted flavors so typical of South African wines and yet it still seems entirely of its place--it doesn't have the ponderous weight of a Pomerol, the red fruit elements of a California merlot or the blueberry muffin notes typical of Washington's. Wine lovers who tend to diss merlot should all be required to taste this wine before giving up on the grape.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: TN: 2000 Vergelegen Merlot, South Africa

by Paul B. » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:05 pm

Jenise, I haven't actually tried or seen the Vergelegen here in Ontario, but your post made me remember that I actually do enjoy South African Merlot ... :lol: I don't generally enjoy Merlot as a rule, but I've had good ones practically all the time from SA. There's a firm marriage of minerality/earth and fruit that shines through in them time and again. There's also a fullness on the palate that says to me that yes, indeed, the grape does fit the SA terroir very well.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca