The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Season on the Chalk

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Season on the Chalk

by Thomas » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:04 pm

John McPhee has yet another outstanding article in the New Yorker (Mar 12).

It's about the chalk of northern Europe, mostly England and France. Great stuff and marvelous blending of geology, history, wine, and life.

When I grow up I want to write like John McPhee.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: Season on the Chalk

by Bob Ross » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:07 pm

I agree, Thomas. McPhee is a personal hero, I have a collection of his first editions, and this is a fascinating article for a wine lover with a number of tidbits that only a great writer could weave into such an interesting story.

Tidbits:

The white cliffs of Dover run up the coast to an area where sparkling wines are grown in England -- the typography sounds fascinating -- then under other stuff to the east until it reaches Champagne, where it re-emerges -- the soils are identical.

The Romans named Champagne after Campania.

Those chalk statues sound fantastic.

Unfortunately, McPhee apparently owns the copyright to the articles that appear in the New Yorker and the piece is not on their website. But the article is so interesting [albeit in need of some editing] that I recommend wine lovers try to find a copy.

Great recco, Thomas. :)

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Re: Season on the Chalk

by Thomas » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:29 pm

Bob Ross wrote:
Unfortunately, McPhee apparently owns the copyright to the articles that appear in the New Yorker and the piece is not on their website.

Regards, Bob

Bob,

Newspapers and magazines always make a grab for all rights, but a writer with clout can negotiate and sell print rights without selling electronic rights.
Thomas P