The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTNs: Tegernseerhof Visit -Wachau, Austria

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

WTNs: Tegernseerhof Visit -Wachau, Austria

by Bill Hooper » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:16 pm

Zweigelt Rosé 2006
From the Kremstal
Wonderful. Pale colored, Pretty Strawberry and Watermelon fruit, rosewater, tinny mineral and crackly, crisp acidity.

T26 Grüner Veltliner 2005
Mostly sourced from the Frauenweingarten vineyard. Expansive pineapple fruit, slight mineral character uncommon at this price. Searing, satisfying acidity. Excellent bang for the buck.

Bergdistel Grüner Veltliner 2005
Frankly a little dull. Broad and rich apple pie and pear fruit. Not very mineral and low acid. A blend of plots.

Höhereck Grüner Veltliner 2005
Very Good. More weight, but more linear too. Axe-head focus and strength. White peach, tropical fruit, classically structured and age worthy.

Terrassen Riesling 2005
Stone fruit, peach, orange peel. Good acidity, but I would like a little more zestiness. Wet rock mineral. May need time.

Steinertal Riesling 2005
WOW! A wine full of angry power, purity and verve. Extremely stinky damp earth, wet weasel (I’ve been waiting to use that) Pulverized and bruised apricots, spice encrusted orange fruit. Exotic and angular. The best Riesling of the trip.

Kellerberg Riesling 2005
More polished, and perhaps a taking a bit of a nap. Elegant and fine, but not showing the most fruit now. Very Mosel, pear and green apple with a little steeliness.

Creation Riesling 2004
What the F*ck? MONSTER! Alsatian in a very over-done style –Zind-Humbrecht on muscle relaxers. Almost gooey peach, pear, melon, fruit cocktail syrup. Amazingly, it still has some acid. Impressive in its originality, but too big and blowzy for me. 20 g RS.

Creation Grüner Veltliner 2004
Peachy again, but more spice –cumin, white pepper, pollen extract, Jasmine. BIG, but the GV holds its weight better than the Riesling. 20% Botrytis.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTNs: Tegernseerhof Visit -Wachau, Austria

by Saina » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:00 am

Bill Hooper wrote:Creation Riesling 2004
What the F*ck? MONSTER! Alsatian in a very over-done style –Zind-Humbrecht on muscle relaxers. Almost gooey peach, pear, melon, fruit cocktail syrup. Amazingly, it still has some acid. Impressive in its originality, but too big and blowzy for me. 20 g RS.

Wet weasle with a cold because it's gooey? ;) This sounds absolutely vile.

Thanks for all the notes from your wonderful sounding trip!

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:46 pm

Wet weasel, neat description!!! Looks like a great trip Bill. Did you bring anything back for an Open Mike?
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:08 pm

As Otto would say, "GV rocks!"
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:19 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Wet weasel, neat description!!! Looks like a great trip Bill. Did you bring anything back for an Open Mike?

I'm sorry to report that I had little time for shopping Bob. Not to fear though, I have PLENTY at home for an open mike...er WINE FOCUS!?!
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:00 pm

Those "Creation" wines are absolutely vile. I'm pretty sure they were the idea of Klaus, their marketing guy. He's the one who came up with that new "T-26" designation, which we told him made it sound more like military ordnance than wine.

I find the Höhereck to be absolutely astounding for the price. We had the last vintage for $25. Lots of exotic fruit and minerals. Tremendous complexity for the money.

The Terrassen Riesling '04 is what we call "blue sky" wine--very pure aromas and flavors, very fine texture, nice minerality on the finish.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:15 pm

The 'Creation' wines would better be labelled 'Frankenstein'. I just don't understand them. I guess the T26 (Tank 26) is easier for Americans and Britons to wrap their lips around than 'Frauenweingarten'. However, the Steinertal Riesling was amazing! They also have a whole bullpen of wines I didn't get a chance to try. But, from this stretch of the Donau, I'm an F.X. Pichler man through and through -Knoll isn't bad either.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:04 am

Here`s one for you Bill from a downtown tasting this evening. The theme was "Pairing food and wine". The `04 Rabl Steinhaus Riesling (Kamptal) was served with pan-fried salmon fillet and was a very popular choice for many participants. Myself, I thought the `04 Stonier P Noir from Mornington Penin was perfect too!

The Rabl had apple, buttery, petrol aromas. Quite ripe on the palate, full-bodied with nectarine, baked apple, spice and a floral buttery character. I will definately try this one again.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:40 am

I haven't had the Rabl Bob (I don't think they're available in the US), but I know them by reputation. They have been recieving some accolades lately and are also one of the biggest wineries in Austria. I'll stay on the lookout for them.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:53 am

Bill Hooper wrote:I haven't had the Rabl Bob (I don't think they're available in the US), but I know them by reputation. They have been recieving some accolades lately and are also one of the biggest wineries in Austria. I'll stay on the lookout for them.

Bill, as soon as we get organized on an Open Mike or maybe (hint) Wine Focus, Rabl will be off and running from my little end of the world!