The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

STN: Expanding my horizons: Hendrick's Gin

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

STN: Expanding my horizons: Hendrick's Gin

by Saina » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:39 pm

Spirits TN: Hendrick's Gin 41,4% abv 31,90€/70cl

Apart from some Islay single Malts, I'm not terribly fond of spirits. But a taste of this Gin was quite an experience - so much so that I bought a bottle today.

I know very little of Gin, except that juniper is used: and that smells wonderfully here. Apparently this is a strange Gin in that cucumber and rose petals are used also to spice it up. The scent is savoury and complex and fresh. The high alcohol isn't offensive. I don't know if it is only wishful thinking, but I sense a strong mineral water component to the scent also - and minerals are always welcome in whatever I'm sniffing!

The palate shows more alcohol than the scent yet it still is savoury rather than cloying, red berry-like and elegant. I like it. I am having a hard time finding any notes of cucumber or rose petal, but I don't mind as the whole - no matter what they put into it - is complex and unique and quite lovable.

Now, where to find good tonic to do justice to this Gin? Or should I rather drink plain?

-Otto-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: STN: Expanding my horizons: Hendrick's Gin

by Hoke » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:51 pm

Otto:

Congrats. That's a very good description of the Hendrick's Gin. It's also one of my favorite gins, btw.

Who knew the Scots could make good gin, eh?

Hendricks is a very robust style, with itense aromatics. Rose petal isn't all that unusual as a botanical for gin, but this one has pretty intense elements of that; don't worry if you're not picking up rose petal specifically, because you're probably getting it in both the intense floral notes, and also possiblys as some of the berry nature.

Cucumber is definitely there for me. But mostly I like the full body, almost a Genever style of richness in the mouth.

This is the only gin I drink straight, on the rocks, but usually I do add some tonic and fresh lime. Or just the lime (because I like lime). Works well with a Lillet martini too. But I like it better on the rocks.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:57 pm

Hendricks is our latest favorite gin, Otto. We only started drinking it a few months ago after bouncing from Tanqueray to Bombay Sapphire to Tanqueray 10. Lill and I will now typically get one Hendricks and one Tanqueray Ten martini (extra dry, up, w/a twist) and share the two of them. The T-10 goes best with caperberries but you don't find them in too many bars.

You are right, the Hendricks is extremely robust and very complex.

And I'm with you on the Islay malts. I'm a sucker for Lagavullin or Bunnahabien or Laphroig...
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:54 pm

As they say, only one in ten thousand likes Hendricks. That leaves me out. The rose petal aroma reminds me of soap. It is very unusual gin.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:17 pm

And I'm with you on the Islay malts. I'm a sucker for Lagavullin or Bunnahabien or Laphroig...

Bill, if you're a fan of the Islay malts, then you need to delight yourself with/subject yourself to the grandaddy of them all, the Ardbeg.

Within single malt circles there is an actual term describing the smoky/iodine aromas and flavors. It's called "peat reek". Where Laphroiag is, as I recall, around 35 ppm peat reek, the Ardbeg is a fully reeking monster in the 50s!

It is not for the faint o' heart. But them that likes that kind of punishment loves the Ardbeg.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:42 pm

Hoke wrote:
It is not for the faint o' heart. But them that likes that kind of punishment loves the Ardbeg.

Or Bowmore.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:02 am

But them that likes that kind of punishment loves the Ardbeg.
I'm not a complete peat-head, Hoke, as I'll never turn down a good Highland malt either. But I would be interested in trying Ardbeg to see how far they push things. Thanks.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:09 pm

If you're looking to combine your wine and spirits jones into one, you might try the Glenmorangie SM that is finished in Burgundy barrels.

I tried it recently, and I gotta tell you, it's as good a SM as you're going to find. Truly hits my Scotch sweet spot: substantial, rich with smoke, but finishes with elegance and incredible subtleties on the palate.

They don't reveal whose barrels they used, but word is that they are from one of the top of the top producers. If you're a lover of SMs, you definitely need to try this one.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:56 pm

you might try the Glenmorangie SM that is finished in Burgundy barrels.
Dont they do one that is finished in barrels from Ch. Margaux as well? I have a bottle of the Port Wood Finished but have yet to try the Burg...thanks for the tip, Hoke.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:03 pm

Yep, they do the Bordeaux finish, the Port finish, the Madeira finish (which I think a little weird, as it picks up the somewhat astringent nature of the madeira casks), and of course the time-honored Sherry finish.

Never tried the Bordeaux finish, as that one was waaaay pricy. The Burgundy finish, though, is within the realm of possibilty

Until the Burgundy finish came out, my fave was the Port finish.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:16 pm

Ok, now retasting the Gin, I am getting a rose scent. I still like it.

Ardbeg rocks. Or rocked? I recently tasted the newest release of the 10YO and it was bland. Whatever Islay whiskies are, they should not be bland. Some of the older Islays (before it was mothballed) are among the most bloody brilliant drinks I've ever had, but this 10YO was a horrible disappointment. Any ideas what is going on now that it is reopened? Did they really change the style so completely or did I just get a dud bottle?

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:22 pm

Otto,
I'm not much of a SM guy and never have had the 10 yo Ardberg. Is it finished with cork? Perhaps it was afflicted with TCA which accounted for the bland taste. FWIW, I did have a 'Corked" SM not all that long ago.
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!