The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Sun Salutations

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Sun Salutations

by Florida Jim » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:52 am

It’s always good to spend a week on the left-coast. Old friends to see, new wines to taste and the beauty of rural Sonoma set against the bustle of Berkeley. All receptors open.
Along the way the chance to meet Juan Mercado at Realm Cellars, Josh Peoples at Chateau Boswell and a few other happy wine geeks on vacation.
And although we came to help plant a vineyard at Russell Bevan’s home, Mother Nature gave us the week off; too much rain the preceding week made planting impossible.
So, we drank:

First, Dry Stack Winery is a new operation where Russell is winemaker, Peter and Marie Young are growers and the wines are such that, for those who like the style, they will be the next big thing (and reasonably priced, too). Very concentrated, rich, big Rhone varietals, mostly syrah, are the forte of this operation in Bennett Valley. But they also make a beautiful, tropical flavored sauvignon blanc without any grassy or cat-pee notes that even I will be buying, and a great rosé of syrah that has real flavor and cut. Many of you are on mailing list burn-out, I know, but this is one to add.

I had a chance to taste through all the Realm Cellars 2004’s and their 2005 barrel samples and while these are not my style of wine, I think those that loved these in the past will be truly delighted with the coming versions.

We also tasted the 2006 pinot gris, 2006 rosé of gamay and the 2005 Bassetti Vineyard, syrah from Edmunds St. John. These are wines that are in my wheelhouse; the gris was light and floral but juicy; the syrah was deep, concentrated and very pure; and, the rosé is extraordinary to the point that J. P. Brun would be pleased. And for those keeping track, Steve’s back has finally gotten straightened out and he is his usual serene and carefree self.

Other wines that impressed:

2002 Aubert, Ritchie Vnyd. chardonnay: the weight and power is all CA but the nuances and focus is as Burgundian as they get. And not too much oak, either. Excellent stuff.

1999 Ogier, Côte-Rôtie: much more open then I expected and very true to its place.

1998 Ogier, Côte-Rôtie: more complex, still a bit tannic and touched with brett. But I sure enjoyed it.

I also had a number of California wines that, while one glass was enough, I was very pleased to find wines tending to emphasize their varietal and, occasionally, their terroir notes. Although I don’t think these wines were indicative of any style change for the area, I do think that some folks choose to buck the trend.

But, if I had to boil it all down to one wine it would be the 2006 Dry Stack Cellars, sauvignon blanc; Didier Dagueneau move over. At $20, this is stealing.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Sun Salutations

by David M. Bueker » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:23 am

Thanks for the report Jim.

It's good to hear that Steve is finally mended, and the rose sounds delish. Of course I'll be jumping all over the Syrah as well (PG is not my thing).
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:35 pm

Nice report, thanks.

Too bad about the rain, but it sounds like you made the best of it anyway.

A question about the ESJ rosé. From reading your past notes, saying JP Brun would be pleased is pretty high praise indeed. The few US rosé wines I've tried have noticeable alcohol, which is an absolute killer for me with rosé. I don't mind forward fruit, or even an off dry style (although my wife won't touch a rose with any sweetness), but if it tastes hot, I don't care for it. So any noticeable alcohol in the ESJ?

One of my neighbors absolutely loves California sauvignon blanc and drinks cases of it. I am going to tell them about the Dry Stack.

Best,
Marc
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:04 pm

Marc,
I did not notice any alcohol in the rose. But if its of concern, I'd e-mail Steve (through the website) and find out particulars from him.
I liked it well enough to order a case as a sort of a future purchase as they aren't released yet.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars