The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Spanish red for your consideration

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff Caldwell

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:41 am

New Jersey

Spanish red for your consideration

by Jeff Caldwell » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:22 pm

My wife and I have been enjoying some Spanish reds lately. Its been a nice diversion since the Burgundy "overload" of LaPaulee de New York several weeks ago. I am new here, but would like to offer this selection to all of you as something I found which pleasantly surprised me. We picked it up at Tribeca Wine Merchants but I have also found it in my local shop here in central NJ. Its a nice value at $25 and we found it to complement some spicy food quite well. We took it to a local BYO Indian restaurant and it was a big hit with our friends (wine freaks and non-wine freaks alike!).

So, here it is...enjoy. We would love some comments back if anyone has tried it or gets some to taste. Cheers.

2004 Celler Cantonella Cervoles
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Spanish red for your consideration

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:42 pm

Welcome to the forum and hope to hear more from you. Reds from Spain title will always draw attention! Could not open your link however.

Doris.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:38 pm

Hi Jeff, welcome to the forum. I haven't had the wine that you reported on, and will undoubtedly try it if and when I do find it. I will go further to say that before now I ..was..am not very likely to be looking for a cabernet from Spain. I suppose that I like the Spanish tempranillo too much to be thinking of cab. Still I have some of Victor de la Serna's syrah, so maybe I am too set in my ways?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jeff Caldwell

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:41 am

New Jersey

by Jeff Caldwell » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:02 pm

Bob-
I wish you luck finding the Cervoles, but I dont think it will be terribly difficult. The wine is a blend of about 40% tempranillo, 30% cab, with some grenache and merlot making up the difference. Their website does have some interesting information regarding the history of their operation and some notes about the region. Well worth a look next time you are browsing around.

http://www.cervoles.com

Cheers all.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:52 am

Thanks Jeff for the website. I have found out this one is on allocation here in AB so might call the rep.

Tonight at a local tasting, I enjoyed a red I think you might know well, Jeff. The `03 Alejandro Fernandez Pesquera Crianza which went well with some roasted pork loin with greens in a balsamic dressing. Good example of brett here!! Loved it. Aagh well, back to your Cervoles hunt!
no avatar
User

Victor de la Serna

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:50 pm

Madrid, Spain

by Victor de la Serna » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:43 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Victor de la Serna's syrah

We don't make a "syrah", Bob - we make Finca Sandoval. :) (And we don't make any varietal wines either!)