The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

How did you first learn about Grüner Veltliner?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

How did you first learn about Grüner Veltliner?

Through my wine store
17%
On a visit to Austria
9%
Through friends
20%
Through online research
No votes
Right here on WLDG
34%
Other (post your answer)
20%

Total votes : 35
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: How did you first learn about Grüner Veltliner?

by Paul B. » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:39 am

Manuel Camblor wrote:I also have a slight objection to the form of the answer options provided. What if I had heard about it for the first time at some point in 1998m from friends, on the old, tan WLDG?

:lol: :!:

Classic!
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:04 pm

It's interesting what a (suprisingly, to me) large percentage learned about it here. I wonder if similar polls would also indicate such considerable WLDG influence: Where do you go most often when you have a question about wine? and so forth.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:09 pm

Clint, I was surprised by it too! Positively, of course.

I was expecting that more people would have heard of the variety through their wine shops in the sense that you would have passionate Austrian wine fans who would stock their stores with Austrian goodies, including quality GV. But as Lou pointed out, that can be a losing proposition money-wise if the clientele does not follow suit and develop that same passion.

WLDG is quite the tool for wine education!
no avatar
User

Michael Pronay

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon May 01, 2006 12:47 pm

Vienna, Austria

by Michael Pronay » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:54 am

Dan Smothergill wrote:Prices seem all over the place though and not much related to quality, at least within the price range I buy.

Alcohol content of a given bottling always is a good indicator of what to expect. Up to 12%, it's invariably a basic bottling, 12,5% would indicate basic to medium class, while 13% and up is the indicator that you reach the premium level of a given producer's portfolio.
Ceterum censeo corticem esse delendam
no avatar
User

Eric Ifune

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:51 pm

Las Vegas, NV and elsewhere

by Eric Ifune » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:13 am

In the early 90's, I followed the writing of Stuart Pigott. He stated once that the greatest rieslings of the world came from Austria. Him being a writer on German Wines, this made me sit up and start exploring Austrian rieslings which quickly lead to gruner veltliner. Later on in the Late 90's, I had a chance to live in Northern Italy, just a few hours drive from Wien. Visited the wine regions on a regular basis and really explored Austrian wines.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:39 am

Paul B. wrote:Clint, I was surprised by it too! Positively, of course.

I was expecting that more people would have heard of the variety through their wine shops in the sense that you would have passionate Austrian wine fans who would stock their stores with Austrian goodies, including quality GV. But as Lou pointed out, that can be a losing proposition money-wise if the clientele does not follow suit and develop that same passion.

WLDG is quite the tool for wine education!

Sadly, GV doesn't sell itself. It's such a wonderfully refreshing and eager-to please wine, that I can't believe more people don't fall in love with it at first sip. If you can drink Sauvignon, you can drink Grüner Veltliner. The key is to keep popping corks for friends and fiends alike.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:26 am

Bill Hooper wrote:Sadly, GV doesn't sell itself. It's such a wonderfully refreshing and eager-to please wine, that I can't believe more people don't fall in love with it at first sip.

You know, Bill, I think that there is some sort of inertia working against German and Austrian wines, although wine lovers of late seem to have taken notice of the Austrian ones a bit more.

As diverse and varied as France and Italy are wine-wise, for lovers of cool-climate food-friendly wines, Austria should definitely be a go-to country. I love the GV and Riesling from there, but also the Zweigelt and Blaufränkisch, which I really feel are underrated varieties. A gorgeously peppery, tart Blaufränkisch is superb with roast beef, pork, and even schnitzel.
no avatar
User

Peter Ruhrberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:03 pm

Germany

by Peter Ruhrberg » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:06 pm

Eric Ifune wrote:In the early 90's, I followed the writing of Stuart Pigott.

Similar story for me. I may have read about GV in his writings first. I sure recall how the Wachau was getting "hot" in Germany in the early 90s, just when I started exploring wine. The real break through for me though came in 1998 on a trip to the Wachau, with our esteemed host Robin Garr, guided by the expertise of Bernie Bruckner and Michl Pronay no less. The GVs I tasted there were just mind blowingly good. Austrian Magic indeed!

Peter
no avatar
User

Michael Pronay

Rank

Ultra geek

Vienna, Austria

by Michael Pronay » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:38 pm

Peter Ruhrberg wrote:The real break through for me though came in 1998 on a trip to the Wachau, with our esteemed host Robin Garr, guided by the expertise of Bernie Bruckner and Michl Pronay no less. The GVs I tasted there were just mind blowingly good. Austrian Magic indeed!

For those interested, there is a report somewhere in the archives here.
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:21 pm

It was the dastardly denizens of this place that led me astray into Gruner Veltliner, along with Oregon Pinot, ESJ, Alsatian Reisling, Ridge Zins and other such seductive wines. It's a terrible thing, I tell you. Well, terribly expensive anyway!
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Manuel Camblor

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:23 am

New York, NY

by Manuel Camblor » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:25 pm

Doug Surplus wrote:It was the dastardly denizens of this place that led me astray into Gruner Veltliner, along with Oregon Pinot, ESJ, Alsatian Reisling, Ridge Zins and other such seductive wines. It's a terrible thing, I tell you. Well, terribly expensive anyway!

MOre expensive than Ridge Zins, Doug? I have to say I don't know where you've been shopping, but there's plenty of great value to be had (and I'm using the Wine Speculator "Under-$20" scale now) in Grüner Veltliner. Lots of truly lovely $15 wines from '05 landing on the market right now...
Best,

LL
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:34 am

Manuel Camblor wrote:
Doug Surplus wrote:It was the dastardly denizens of this place that led me astray into Gruner Veltliner, along with Oregon Pinot, ESJ, Alsatian Reisling, Ridge Zins and other such seductive wines. It's a terrible thing, I tell you. Well, terribly expensive anyway!

MOre expensive than Ridge Zins, Doug? I have to say I don't know where you've been shopping, but there's plenty of great value to be had (and I'm using the Wine Speculator "Under-$20" scale now) in Grüner Veltliner. Lots of truly lovely $15 wines from '05 landing on the market right now...

I wasn't referring to Gruner being terribly expensive, I was referring to the wine habit in general. However, it seems the only Gruners I've been able to find here are upwards of $20. One was $15 higher than than Robin paid.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:01 am

Michael Pronay wrote:
Dan Smothergill wrote:Prices seem all over the place though and not much related to quality, at least within the price range I buy.

Alcohol content of a given bottling always is a good indicator of what to expect. Up to 12%, it's invariably a basic bottling, 12,5% would indicate basic to medium class, while 13% and up is the indicator that you reach the premium level of a given producer's portfolio.

Well I understand that statement. But why is that the case? Do they let the grapes ripen longer, getting more flavor, more sugar, and consequently more alcohol?
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Michael Pronay

Rank

Ultra geek

Vienna, Austria

by Michael Pronay » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:30 am

MikeH wrote:
Michael Pronay wrote:Alcohol content of a given bottling always is a good indicator of what to expect. Up to 12%, it's invariably a basic bottling, 12,5% would indicate basic to medium class, while 13% and up is the indicator that you reach the premium level of a given producer's portfolio.

Well I understand that statement. But why is that the case? Do they let the grapes ripen longer, getting more flavor, more sugar, and consequently more alcohol?

Exactly.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:48 am

Some of the 13% type Grüner Veltliners are very rich in mouthfeel. For me they are a fine stand in wherever a White Burgundy is called for.

Brundlmayer's Lamm or Alte Reben bottlings would be $100 id they were White Burgs. I cannot imagine what the top Hirtzberger, Knoll or Pichler wines would be in the White Burg world.

To my mind, top Grüner Veltliner represents the absolute best value in full-bodied white wine in the world.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:17 pm

First GV I had was courtesy of Charles Weiss at a KingFungFest...1997 Bründlmayer Grüner Veltliner Alte Reben.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:35 pm

I agree with David. Grüner - especially high-end Grüner - is right up there with the best white wines in the world.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:02 pm

Dale Williams wrote:About 10 years ago, on alt.food.wine. Only tried a couple, they were hard to find. Then it became trendy 6-7 years ago, with advice from Michael Pronay on AFW and from Chambers St, I got hooked,

(edited for clarity)

I first learned about GV on visits to Austria, but I first became intrigued by it at a dinner at Slanted Door in SF (indirect SFJoe effect) and then became seduced by it courtesy of M. Pronay's posting to AFW, too.

I guess that I'm just a GV slut...

Mark Lipton
Previous