The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

'04 Beaucastel: How long would you decant it?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

'04 Beaucastel: How long would you decant it?

by Paul B. » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:00 pm

If you were to open an '04 Beaucastel now, how long should it ideally spend in the decanter prior to being poured? I probably shouldn't touch this for another ten years, but spring's a-coming and I'm going to be making lamb roast. 'Nuff said! :)

Thanks in advance.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 am

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Re: '04 Beaucastel: How long would you decant it?

by Mike B. » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:51 pm

Hey Paul,

Thomas Perrin was in town a few months ago and said he always opens the bottle in the morning, lets it sit, then decants about an hour or so before drinking.

Though I'm sure he'd also say don't drink this one yet.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:14 am

DON'T DO IT PAUL!!! Slowly back away from the 2004 Beaucastel and get yourself a nice bottle of Gigondas.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:52 am

Paul B. wrote:If you were to open an '04 Beaucastel now, how long should it ideally spend in the decanter prior to being poured? I probably shouldn't touch this for another ten years, but spring's a-coming and I'm going to be making lamb roast. 'Nuff said! :)

Thanks in advance.

Paul, what is going on?! Why would you even consider doing something like that? I'm almost sure that you don't have a ton of bottles and want to open one for initial reference, since you mentioned having a bottle with a lamb roast, not for a science project. And I know that you know that you need something aged properly for a lamb roast - or at least something that you can taste.

If you can't have a nice older Bordeaux with the roast, I would hope that you take Bill's sagacious advice and at least consider a regular old Gigondas with a couple of years on it.

Covert
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:23 pm

Bill Hooper wrote:DON'T DO IT PAUL!!! Slowly back away from the 2004 Beaucastel and get yourself a nice bottle of Gigondas.

Thanks guys. I appreciate you steering me away from what would in all likelihood be a mad act of vinfanticide. I can do Gigondas with aplomb; I like Jiggy-Jiggy :mrgreen:. It's just that I was thinking of something really dense and tough ... but at that young age, I guess it's true that even Beaucastel wouldn't deliver what I'm looking for anyway.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca