The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Table & Vine - Goodbye to an old friend

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Table & Vine - Goodbye to an old friend

by David M. Bueker » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:05 pm

Before it's all over I thought I should post something about this: Table & Vine, in Northampton, Massachusetts is closing. Last day seems to be some time in early April. Much has been cleared out already. (There were some pretty amazing sale prices, but the bulk of that is long gone...much to my cellar.)

Not all is lost. They have a sister store, Town & Country, in West Springfield, MA that is being greatly expanded and renovated to become the flagship store. T&V inventory is headed down there day by day. There is a whole new wine section going in, as well as a fancy temp controlled room for the high end stuff. Guys like Paul Provost and Michael Quinlan will still be around, and the futures and all will just move 15 miles south (so no panic there!). I repeat, they will be honoring T&V futures at the Town & Country store, so don't panic.

While trusted people & great selection will still be there, the whole thing is beyond bittersweet for me (despite the fact that I will now have a 15 mile shorter drive to my "new" favorite (I hope), local shop). Much of what I know about wine I learned from bottles I bought at T&V, and from tastings at T&V. The folks there, from Paul & Michael & George, to the clerks have become friends. We know each others' voices on the telephone & faces are instantly recognizable. Many will be in West Springfield, but not all. Too bad.

Ah well, times change. Thanks for all the memories Table & Vine (formerly Big Y liquors for those who haven't been in a while).

See you at Town & Country (by Table & Vine - also owned by the Big Y corporation).
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Table & Vine - Goodbye to an old friend

by Carl Eppig » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:44 pm

Been there many times while passing through over the years, and will miss it.

Carl
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:32 pm

Hey! They're NOT closing. They're going to redo the place. Have a little faith!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:27 am

Dave Erickson wrote:Hey! They're NOT closing. They're going to redo the place. Have a little faith!

The Northampton store? They're closing. There will be a wine shop there in the future, but it will be a 1000 facing shop (instead of 6000), focused on volume brands. It will not be Table & Vine.

I've talked to the guys many times.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:20 am

So they're relocating to West Springfield. So it is true that all is not lost.

Even so, I understand a bit how you feel. I mean, Marty's is really a dump--those carpets must be one huge stain by now--but for a while there it was my dump, and just as Paul was to you so was Tom Schmeisser to me. Of course, Tom was also my boss...
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

Re: Marty's Carpets

by Charles Weiss » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:52 pm

Dave,
You'll be happy to know that Marty's (in Newton at least) replaced all their carpets about a month ago. Won't do much for prices, I'm sure. But Tom Schmeisser's still there.
Charles
Charles Weiss