The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: VinExpo '07: Jurassic Park

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: VinExpo '07: Jurassic Park

by Saina » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:03 pm

I parked myself at Vin Nature's stall for a long time. They import organic stuff, mostly from the not-so-popular parts of France.

Jura

Domaine Jean-François Ganevat Côtes de Jura Savagnin Privilège 2004 was a nice enough wine with hay and apple scents and is fresh despite a touch of funk. Nice!

Domaine Jean-François Ganevat Côtes de Jura Savagnin Les Vignes de Mon Père 1998 was sweaty, funky and mineral - great fun!

Domaine Jean-François Ganevat Côtes de Jura Chardonnay Les Grands Teppes 2002 is from only 75 year young vines so isn't labelled VV. It seems a bit oaky with ketchup scents - decent enough I suppose, but not terribly exciting. The finish was a tad abrupt.

Domaine Jean-François Ganevat Côtes de Jura Chardonnay Les Chalasses Vieilles Vignes 2002 is from 100YO vines. An oaky nose, but the palate is very nice: intense and mineral and long.

Domaine Jean-François Ganevat Côtes de Jura Pinot Noir Cuvée Julien 2005 stays 12 months in oak, and it unfortunately shows. It is also funky and sweaty and the oak gives a creamy texture to an otherwise very tannic palate. No pinosity at all. It certainly is a unique style of wine but I'm not too sure I enjoy it. I enjoy what is under the oak, however. I hope it integrates.

Clos de Grives (Claude Charbonnier) Côtes de Jura Vin Jaune 1995 was a new name to me. The nose was open and funky, not as dry and austere as many other Vin Jaunes, but correct. I rather liked this.

Domaine Pierre Overnoy / Emmanuel Houillon Arbois Pupillin Vin Jaune 1998 was also an open and aromatic style, rather toffeed even ketchupy, with nice minerality and appley fruit. As Vin Jaunes go, this is a rather "sweet" example, but nice.

Domaine Pierre Overnoy / Emmanuel Houillon Ploussard 2002 was love at first sniff. A light orange colour. The nose is like strawberries and wet earth - bright and fresh. It has lovely acidity and sweet fruit. This is such a delightful wine!

Domaine Pierre Overnoy / Emmanuel Houillon Ploussard 2003 was dark and raisiny but still had some of the lovely and unique aromatics of the 2002. I don't like the raisiny aspect, though.

Domaine Jacques Puffeney Arbois Vin Jaune 1997 is a mineral dominated wine just now: fresh and restrained, intense and elegant. Very nice stuff!

Domaine Jacques Puffeney Arbois Vin Jaune 1998 wasn't IMO quite on the level of the '97. This showed a bigger wine and was less elegant yet still correct Vin Jaune. Also nice.

Domaine Jacques Puffeney Arbois Chardonnay à Queue Rouge 2003 was nicely funky and citric on the nose and was rather Vin Jauney. Nice enough and not as badly underacidic as might be expected from the year.

Domaine Jacques Puffeney Arbois Vieilles Vignes 2002 is a red wine that is oaky and dilly, light yet tannic and rather anonymous. I didn't really care for it.

Domaine Tissot Arbois Vin Jaune 1999 is a nice and typical VJ, deep and dry and intense - a nice, easygoing style. I like it.

Domaine Tissot Arbois Traminer (Savagnin) 2004 had a nice hay like aroma which I really liked. But there was a slight annoying hint of something I don't like lurking in the background - a touch of oak? A touch of dirtiness? I can't quite place my finger on what it is, but it surely detracted from my enjoyment.

Domaine Tissot Arbois Chardonnay Classique 2005 has nice funk and minerals and though it obviously sees oak, on the nose it isn't any more offensive than in a well made white Burgundy. The palate does, however, show a slight but annoying vanillary aspect despite the nice, intense acidity and minerality.

Domaine Tissot Arbois Chardonnay Les Gravières 2004 is a wine where the oak is nicely done. Slightly funky, dry and mineral, intense and a delight to drink.

Domaine Tissot Arbois Chardonnay Les Bruyères 2004 is weird. It has nice elements, yet disjointed oak. What does this property do with their oak since sometimes it's so disjointed and other times it fits the wine perfectly?

Domaine Tissot Arbois Chardonnay Le Clos de la Tour de Curon 2004 An oaky mess.

Domaine Tissot Arbois Côtes de Jura Pinot Noir En Barberon 2004 is a light and elegant wine with much pinosity. It is rather tannic, but that is no problem. Nice!

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN: VinExpo '07: Jurassic Park

by James Roscoe » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:00 pm

We don't see Jura wines much. It sounds like we should be looking for these. Thanks for the notes.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:10 pm

James Roscoe wrote:We don't see Jura wines much. It sounds like we should be looking for these. Thanks for the notes.

I think Europvin represents some Jura wines, but I've never seen them stateside. Unfortunately, I have to buy my Vin Jaune in France. Maybe it's a good thing -I'd be poor and drunk all the time :D .
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:40 am

I remember reading that Chambers Street Wines has some Poulsard on sale, so yes, there should be at least some of these wines available on that side of the pond. Jura rocks!

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.