The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN 1997 Alessi Arcibaldo "Supertuscan"

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN 1997 Alessi Arcibaldo "Supertuscan"

by Brian K Miller » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:36 am

Keyed up and my asthma was bothering me, so I decided to post the wine notes from tonight, focusing on tonight's star (for me)

Cab/Sangiovese blend. Didn't note the percentages, but I recall 60% Sangio and 40% Cab???

A textbook example of why I am turning more and more to Italy for my wine drinking pleasure. Of course, I still love some California wines and many French wines, but Italian wines at all price points just bring a smile to my face. This is at the pricier end of the market ($45 on sale)but imho worth it. WOTN for many of us.

(I also served a William Harrrison Rutherford Red Bordeaux blend that showed a too much oak tonight (maybe it needed more decanting, because the oak was not as dominant when tried at the winery last month???) and a quite primary Bordeaux Superieur wine that was tasty but simple=but did open nicely )

Jet black color with some bricking. A lovely, lovely nose of leather and earth, but there is still a strong hint of cherry from the Sangiovese. Also, for such a big, rich, earthy wine, there is a nice kick of acid that makes the wine drink well with food (pasta in cream sauce was no problem for a dining companion, and it was mighty fine with my hunk of red meat)

A lot of money, but I will probably continue buying this wine. ****+
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

Re: WTN 1997 Alessi Arcibaldo "Supertuscan"

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:08 pm

Brian,

I noticed that you mentioned your asthma, and I was wondering if you've ever experienced any increased symptoms in conjunction w/ drinking red wine? I understand that the verdict is still out regarding the histamines in red wine and how much of an effect they have on the bronchial system, but I have noticed that when I have a chest cold, red wine will intensify my cough.

Oh, and I agree with you on the italian reds. Still trying to branch out, especially towards the french (and I really do enjoy some spanish reds) but I always seem to come back to Italy. Really want to try a few more of the southern varieties, which I've heard are quite good too.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN 1997 Alessi Arcibaldo "Supertuscan"

by Brian K Miller » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:22 pm

K: Not the culprit here. A nightclub which, despite the little paper signs taped on the walls, featured a fine haze of smoke in the air. With a show by The Abyssinians, what can you expect? :lol:

My asthma is caused by California, not red wine. It predates by a decade my recent passion for the juice of the vine and is actually becoming less of a problem over the years. Still. It's March, everything is in bloom, and I had spent three hours on my bicycle earlier that day.

(Shouldn't have mentioned it, but I thought the posting at 4:00 a.m was wierd :oops: )
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach