The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Assorted Four from Piedmont

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

WTN: Assorted Four from Piedmont

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:43 pm

2004 cascina ‘tavijn Ruché di Castagnole Monferrato (Piedmont) Good clean fun. Lots of fruit, some anise, some cinnamon, minerality, good acidity. Happy happy joy joy...and it was in the closeout bin to boot.

2004 Cascina Ballarin Langhe Rosso Cino (Piedmont) Bright, fresh fruit, great depth, violets, earth, good acid. Wonderful oak-free fun for <$10. Blend of barbera, nebbiolo and dolcetto.

2005 Giacomo Ascheri Dolcetto d’Alba Nirane (Piedmont) This wine needs time but has good structure. Right now it’s really tightly wound up with gripping tannins. Softens with a couple of hours of air time and some really nice fruit and depth emerges.

2001 Ballarin Barolo Tre Ciabot (Piedmont) Excellent value, traditionally made La Morra barolo. Lovely primary nose blending ripe fruit and sweet spice with truly griping tannins. Drinking this barolo so young is definitely a guilty pleasure.
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

Re: 2004 cascina ‘tavijn Ruché di Castagnole Monferrato

by Charles Weiss » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:45 pm

Bill,
We had this on Friday night. Really interesting nose and only slightly less interesting palate. Othrs were drinking other things---mango margaritas and such, so I unfortunately drank most of the bottle. All in the name of science.
Charles

And mine came from undoubtedly the same closeout opportunity, less 20%, for $12/bottle. Life can be good.
Charles Weiss
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:34 am

The things we do for research.
Ya, we've gone through a half dozen of these, Charles, and they have been just as fun each time. Of the three or four different ruche producers I've tried, tavijn has been my favorite by a long shot.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:27 am

Bill, you are the king of Piedmont!! Keep`em coming.
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

Re: WTN: Assorted Four from Piedmont

by Marc D » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:20 pm

I am another fan of that 04 Tavijn Ruche, but I drank mine up early as I thought they would be best young. I loved the pretty nose of violets with the fruit and other things you mentioned. I wonder if there is any potential for improvement with aging these?

At a tasting last October I tried 2 barolos from Cascina Ballarin and they were remarkable for the differences in their style. One was very forward and almost sweet and I thought very "modern" and the other one seemed more old school, with some VA but lots of grip and flavor. I can't recall the name of the modern barolo, but I'm pretty sure the one I liked was the Tre Ciabot.

Thanks for the Piemontese notes.

Marc
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

Re: WTN: Assorted Four from Piedmont

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:11 am

I wonder if there is any potential for improvement with aging these?
The only posts I've found on aged ruche have been from Hoke and it sounded quite interesting. I'd love to try aging a few but, like you, find them pretty irresistable when young.

I can't recall the name of the modern barolo,
Ballarin makes a Bricco Rocca and a Bussia, neither of which I've tried. The Tre Ciabot, at this early age, is certainly more fruit forward compared to say a Mascarello but I dont sense any new oakiness.