The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Looking For Wine Authors

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rob S

Rank

Just got here

Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:46 pm

Looking For Wine Authors

by Rob S » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:10 pm

Note: if this request is mis-placed in the Forum please advise!

I am the owner of a website that focuses on California Wine Articles. We are in need of authors. As I recently posted in an Article Marketer Directory:

If you Google key words "california wine articles" (#1) or "wine articles" (#10). How about a search in Yahoo "california wine articles" - #22.

Why do I bore you with these search ranking? Because I am stunned.

You see what I really need is more CONTENT. Yes I have these ranking with so few articles as to be laughable.

Do you drink wine? Submit an article!
Do you have friend that collects wine? Submit an article!
Been to California and visited a winery? Submit an article!

To international forum members: want to express your wine passion? I'll add categories - just write an article.

Kindly have look at the MANY available categories and let your article author skills lead the way. This site is not being populated with "me too" articles from the major article submission sites. Your work will be unique in this space.

Visit http://www.californiawinearticles.com

You do not have to be a wine connoisseur. Buy it, store it, make it, give it, receive it, visit it, write about it!!

That's the story (no pun intended) - time to get back to that glass of Cab I left downstairs.

Many thanks,
Rob

P.S. Respecting the wishes of the forum rules, this is not solicitation for the site itself, rather an outreach to get more INFORMED article content into the site. I am a wine junkie (o.k., maybe not a junkie) with 500 bottle collection of California Cab, Meritage, Merlot, Sav. Blanc dating from the early 1990's to current vintage.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: Looking For Wine Authors

by Peter May » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:15 am

Your website says "We have excellent professional authors on a host of relevant wine topics"

Professional writers are paid for their work, but your site says "You will not be paid for submitting your articles to our sites and you will not be paid if and when your articles are published."

If people have wine related articles, then this site - Wine Lovers Page - has a long and honourable history of hosting them, and posting them here is some small recompense to Robin for running this forum and site.

I think you have a bit of a cheek.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:37 am

Peter May wrote:Your website says "We have excellent professional authors on a host of relevant wine topics"

Professional writers are paid for their work, but your site says "You will not be paid for submitting your articles to our sites and you will not be paid if and when your articles are published."

If people have wine related articles, then this site - Wine Lovers Page - has a long and honourable history of hosting them, and posting them here is some small recompense to Robin for running this forum and site.

I think you have a bit of a cheek.

Peter,

I thought the same, but I've come across this nonsense so often I chose to ignore it. These people prey on others who want to see their name in print for whatever reason, plus they value writers only as far as the writing lines their pockets. Some of them are frustrated writers who don't even know the value of their own aspirations.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:15 am

Peter May wrote:Your website says "We have excellent professional authors on a host of relevant wine topics"

Actually, professional writers often give away work in the interest of further exposure. As a former professional writer (I got paid to write for 30 years) I can attest to this admittedly unfortunate practice. I'm no longer paid to write, and, paradoxically, I absolutely refuse to give anything away anymore.

In case you hadn't noticed, I don't "write" here, I just "post." It's different. And more fun. :D

PS: This is not a defense of what he's doing!: This guy comes from a long and dishonorable tradition of publishers who consider "content" to be this sort of anonymous gunk whose main purpose is to hold a lot of advertising together.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:43 am

I took the time to browse the website. It says there are 7 articles by 10 authors. I thought this was curious, so I looked at the 7 articles. 4 were written by the same person. One was written by "A. Cab Guy" and another only listed a link to a website.

Another curiosity was one topic named "Viviculture". Before I assumed this to be a typo, I decided to Google search and found out that viviculture is indeed some sort of new wave thing or something, but has nothing to do with growing grapes. I found the following on a Viviculture website:

dank, tepid, fetid air, full of decay...

A beautiful squirrel was killed by a car on our street this morning. I stroke his soft fur, gently cradle his still supple body, all lost in a blow to his head. Now his bulging eyes, his bleeding mouth turn into the rotting corpse I bury in an unmarked grave in the garden.

The flowers, the ferns won't tell, but I remember where he lies.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Rob S

Rank

Just got here

by Rob S » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:17 pm

Peter - a word about "Free" if you please:

WHY SUBMIT TO ARTICLE DIRECTORIES...
(c) Copyright 2005 Thom Reece All Rights Reserved

Writing articles, and promoting them for publication, is one of the most productive long-term promotional tactics available. Well researched and written articles... which provide valuable, useable information, are highly sought after by newsletter publishers, magazines, ezines, webmasters, etc.

It is a marketing truth that "Content Is King". Good, keyword rich, content is what drives online traffic through search engines and gives the visitor a reason to keep coming back to your website. This is often referred to as "sticky content". As a traffic-generation tool it is unsurpassed.

Webmasters and publication editors have an insatiable appetite for tightly written "niched" articles that are relevant to their web sites or publications themes.

Their need is your opportunity...

An editor of an ezine, newsletter, magazine, or website has a never-ending need for good content. Each issue they publish must be filled with useful, relevant content that will appeal to their readers or subscribers self-interest. A publication that cannot provide a steady flow of new content will not long survive.
"An editor of an ezine, newsletter, magazine, or website... has a never-ending need for good content."

By regularly supplying the media with well written articles, you build a growing supply of links and traffic to your own websites.

How?... Well, the secret is in the bio. Each article you submit for publication has your own "authors bio" that gives full attribution and links to your site. This is the payment you receive for having supplied the articles... it is a payment which gives you long-term dividends!

Not only will your article be presented to many thousands of subscribers initially... but those same articles (with your bio and links) will be archived on the publications websites. Those archived articles become fodder for search engines which not only provide on-going traffic to the publishing site... but to YOU as well. It is truly a Win/Win proposition.

To your last point about "holding a lot of advertising together": exactly right. And if you CHOOSE to write an article and have it published for "Free" and in the resource box you link to a site that promotes a product or service that people choose to buy I believe that is called "free trade"

Howie: you are absolutely correct - sort of. 4 of the 7 articles are written by the same author Alan Boehmer and are used here with his permission. He writes for http://www.suite101.com which has a 5,264 Alexa rank.
The story written by A. Cab Guy was written by me. If you don't like the pen name that is your prerogative.

As to the word Viviculture, thanks for pointing out a mis-spelling. Should have been Viticulture.

vit·i·cul·ture Pronunciation (vt-klchr, vt-)
n.
The cultivation of grapes.
[Latin vtis, vine; see wei- in Indo-European roots + culture.]

And finallyThomas: I PREY on no one. Your own site offers fabulous information AND has 2 books for sale. Does that mean you're only on the web to "line your own pockets". According to Alexa your site has no traffic and ONE backlink from winetalk.com forum. You SHOULD write a few brief articles and place them in reputable sites and get some more traffic and increase you Amazon sales rank from #83,505. That is if you wish to get more sales through your site. I see that your book is widely available through other retailers. Fact is with your extensive background as a writer, vintner, and wine merchant I would be honored to have your articles on my site. Do you get paid by my site, no. Can you increase traffic to your site to sell more books, absolutely. Don't like my little niche site? Try goarticles.com or ezinearticles.com to name two. They have hundreds of thousands of articles available and will increase your traffic. And, no, I have no interest in either site. Lastly I know the value of my aspirations. In this case I aspire to run two niche article directories. One of which has relevance to this board. If members here choose to contribute I am appreciative. If they do not, no problem.

Hope that addresses some of your concerns.
Last edited by Rob S on Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:41 pm

Rob,

It does address my concerns, and I thank you for that.

Of course, I still believe that giving away one's talent establishes the value for that talent--therefore, I don't write for free unless it's for philanthropic or for personal reasons, and I retain copyright for legal reasons.

I suppose there is the possibility that had I sent writing to the myriad requests for free stuff that I generally ignore I might be richer than I am, but I can't figure out how that would have happened without having been paid for those myriad submissions, since I learned a long time ago that exposure mainly gets you either frostbite or sunburn.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Rob S

Rank

Just got here

by Rob S » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:46 pm

I completely understand and respect your position. If you have weak moment and decide to write for my site I welcome it!
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:52 pm

Rob S wrote:I completely understand and respect your position. If you have weak moment and decide to write for my site I welcome it!

Well, you know how you can remedy my lack of submissions...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Rob S

Rank

Just got here

by Rob S » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:59 pm

2002 Sloan (RP 100)? Just kidding.....LOL!
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:18 pm

Rob S wrote:Peter - a word about "Free" if you please:

By regularly supplying the media with well written articles, you build a growing supply of links and traffic to your own websites.

How?... Well, the secret is in the bio. Each article you submit for publication has your own "authors bio" that gives full attribution and links to your site. This is the payment you receive for having supplied the articles... it is a payment which gives you long-term dividends!

Not only will your article be presented to many thousands of subscribers initially... but those same articles (with your bio and links) will be archived on the publications websites. Those archived articles become fodder for search engines which not only provide on-going traffic to the publishing site... but to YOU as well. It is truly a Win/Win proposition.

To your last point about "holding a lot of advertising together": exactly right. And if you CHOOSE to write an article and have it published for "Free" and in the resource box you link to a site that promotes a product or service that people choose to buy I believe that is called "free trade"

All this assumes I have a website where I'm attempting to generate traffic. If I were an actual wine expert, there would be no reason for me to need you to promote myself. Let me know when Jancis Robinson starts providing you with free content so she can have a valuable link in return. The Internet is full of people who pass themselves off as "experts" when they don't really know anything. They know what you know: Having a web presence is a good way to promote themselves. But their content isn't worth very much because they don't actually know what the hell they're talking about. They're just talking for free.

Have a nice day.
no avatar
User

Andrew Shults

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:32 am

Chicago, Illinois, USA

by Andrew Shults » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:45 am

Rob S wrote:WHY SUBMIT TO ARTICLE DIRECTORIES...
(c) Copyright 2005 Thom Reece All Rights Reserved

... text of article deleted ...

Note that the article so liberally quoted is copyright by someone other than "Rob S." Perhaps that is some indication of the respect that Rob S gives to another person's intellectual property.